Tuesday, November 4, 2008

It's 5 am

It's 5 am Budapest time and apparently still too early to tell?? I think it's around 7pm on the West Coast. I'm up and ready to find out who the next Prez will be.

One thing I find so interesting is the way our founding fathers created the Electoral College specifically as a check and balance for the smaller states. It hasn't failed us yet, but it is quite interesting when you actually realize that the 538 electors, who have mostly been appointed by our elected senators and representatives, are the only ones whose actual vote really counts in voting for president. But a lot of their decision is based on the popular vote of the people and the general feel of the political landscape of our country. I just find it interesting and I think it's actually another brilliant check and balance in our system.

I have a feeling Obama is going to win. If he does, my stance is this. I will support whoever becomes president and look for ways that I can get involved in my country. Right now that's a little harder since I'm living in Eastern Europe, but I can pray and I can get involved in the future. I'm sure I won't be here for another four years. In fact, it's becoming very clear that my departure back to the US will come in the next year. So, if I feel strongly, lets say, about abortion, I will find a way to volunteer at the CPC, which I've done in the past. If I feel strongly about some other social cause that I don't feel the president elect shares my views, I will look to get involved.

I really like this article by Breakpoint - a reminder that voting is just one of many ways to get involved.

http://www.breakpoint.org/listingarticle.asp?ID=5775

4 comments:

akshaye said...

Ah.. I just left you a comment on who won. McCain's giving a great concession speech now. I think you are so right.. its ok to disagree on individual issues. In fact, it would be impossible to find anyone who you agree with completely right?

Anonymous said...

I like your idea of doing something about the things you believe in that leadership does not. If only all of us would act instead of complain. Thanks for the reminder. And thanks for voting from afar!

No(dot dot)el said...

wish you were here to feel the emotions and the gravity of this historical day. so amazing. people have been playing martin luther's i have dream speech and frankly, i am for the first time so excited about the future of not only our country but politics in general. our new president elect was chosen for such a time as this and trust me he will not disappoint.

Jen in Budapest said...

Yeah....Annette, I think there are lots of ways to get involved and affect change.