Monday, August 27, 2007

Spidey Man Spotted In Reno

The darker spidey man has been officially spotted in Reno. He happened to be hanging out on the back of a camper with bikes. Was he going to Burning Man? I believe so.



Yes, I stopped and took a picture in the Wild Oats parking lot because I thought it was so cool. No, he wasn't alive. He was stuffed, a real work of Burning Man art. Someone's trying to be funny. Get it? The darker side of spidey? His altar ego....

So last minute shopping for the kids before they go back to school tomorrow brought me along with Noel to Wally world. As we walked around Walmart store we were talking about the Burning Man event.

Quick history. Burning Man takes place in Black Rock City which is known as the third largest city in Nevada during the week of Burning Man. People come from all over the world for this event. One person described it this way "It’s a celebration of everything — the art, the people, the creativity, the randomness, the mind-bogging experience, the harshness, the inspiration, the music, the surprises, the disappointments, the reality." People are encouraged to have an "altar ego" or be whoever they want to be. Maybe it's a lot like Woodstock with free love and all of that.....? I know real Burners get frustrated at our ignorance but unless you've been there, you don't fully know and all is mysterious except for strange pictures that seem to evolve every year.....

Some of my sisters neighbors are die hard Burning Man folk and so she has become a pro at spotting them and at seeing them gather down the street for the big weekend. One question Noel had was how do they go to the bathroom because they don't have running water and there aren't showers. She was curious. I don't have the slightest idea, so I just wondered with her. Although they have some friends who go to BM every year, I guess this particular question was yet to be answered.

As we were loading up the car an obvious Burning Man girl walked by. Noel, in her very endearing way said,
"Excuse me. Do you happen to be going to Burning Man?"
"Yes, I do"
"Well, I was wondering how do you go to the bathroom out there? I mean do they have sanihuts?" The girl really didn't know what Noel was talking about with Sanihuts....
"Well, they have port-a-pottys"
I thought to self and Noel expressed out loud once the girl left "Aren't they the same thing?"

So there you have it. There are bathrooms at Burning Man. I wonder if Spidey has to worry about those kinds of things with his altar ego.

2 comments:

Jeni said...

Clues that the trailer hauling spidey was going to burning man:
1) It's a trailer.
2) Excessive number of bikes
3) spidey
4) This was at Wild Oats

He he he. This was quite an amusing story. Thanks for sharing it!

P.S. How's triathlon training going. I said I would bug you about it.

Jen in Budapest said...

i know isn't it funny? I didn't even put it together though until Noel reminded me of BM.....thanks Jeni....this week has been better than last...right now I'm just reminding myself this is going to be a slow and steady journey. So that means I am trying to increase endurance....one day at a time...thanks for buggin'...I actually appreciate it mucho!