Thursday, October 18, 2007

I'm gonna tri

This morning I met Nona for the first time. She's an American girl married to a Hungarian-Romanian and the "tri" expert I've been hoping to meet who is willing to take me aside and help me with everything.

The crazy thing is this Brooklyn girl was on her bike crossing the Brooklyn bridge last year and involved in a hit and run. It's a miracle she's alive. She's been recovering and wow. Can you believe that? Someone hit her on her bike and left her. Anyways, on her road back to triathlons, she's willing to help "little old me." I'm so glad about that!

Learned a few things today.

1. It will be possible for me to get a bike and not pay an absolute fortune right away. (the key is right away....) Apparently, there is just no way around "trickin'" out your bike as you prepare for the tri....but it's not a priority right now.

2. I've been hitting the 30-45 minute running mark. Apparently, Once you break through this you can just run and run and run....

I will believe that one when I do it!! ha ha.

But Nona also didn't like the running part as much as swimming and biking at first. She said that changed over time and running became her favorite. Interesting. We will see but for now, I just need to keep building a base of running.

3. I'm right where I need to be in training, with perhaps a few things to begin to adjust so that was encouraging.

4. There's a group of runners called the "hashers" who drink and run. No it's not hash and run...but they sound hilarious. It's kind of like adventure running where they mark out a path for you and you have to follow it. In between they have beer breaks. According to Nona, most of those who participate are grumpy Brits in their 40's. I find that hilarious. They end with pizza and more beer after their run. Beer and running. What a funny combination. Apparently, the hashers aren't just in Europe either.

Well, back to training. Not sure what I will do for training while in Krakow. Probably a few neighborhood runs......I'm gonna try to get a few runs in.

3 comments:

Matty C. said...

Not to sound like a drunk, because I'm definately not that, but beer and running are two of my favorite things. I love to drink a beer with friends and I love the way I feel about myself after a great run. Sounds like things are coming together for you. Good luck. Happy running and I recommend Coors Light!

No(dot dot)el said...

i am so proud of you jenny, truly. you are inspiring. like after reading this blog i am inspired to go drink a beer.... :) jus kidding i am inspired to at least get off the couch and walk the dogs.

Jen in Budapest said...

Funny Matty! You really recommend Coors light or is that a joke? My new favorite is the "Rattler". It's sprite with beer. I don't like beer but I love the rattler. I actually now put sprite in anything I drink, whether a glass of wine or a beer.

You're sweet, Noel. Thanks for your thoughts and get off that couch! Walk those dogs!! I ended up not doing that much by way of walking or running in Krakow....Oh well.