Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Joyful Obedience


Recently, a good friend was telling me about a process she has been going through where she has been asked to lay down a dream that's been in her heart for years. Over the years, this dream has ministered to others and she has seen great things come of it. But, in this season, she realizes she has to give up her management and development of this dream on a larger scheme in order to focus on what God has for her now. Yet this dream is of something that stirs her heart so deeply.

My immediate thought was the story of a little girl holding crushed dandelions in her hand, reluctantly making an exchange with God. Have you heard this story?

I don't remember all the details, but basically this little girl is asked to give her dad what's in her hand. She doesn't want to let go because they are some dandelions she hand-picked. Yet, by this point they are crushed because she's holding onto them so tightly. She finally, reluctantly decides to give them back to her daddy when he gives her, from behind his back, a colorful array of beautiful flowers for her enjoyment.

In a similar way, I have been meditating on what it means to joyfully obey all of God's commands and thoughts towards me. Sometimes I do a better job than at other times. Many times, like those crushed dandelions I hold tightly to what I think will bring me the greatest joy. Isn't this beautiful, though? Shouldn't I hold on? And he says, let go and let me. This can be very hard to do.

So what does it mean to joyfully obey? I guess it means, in a way, throwing all your concerns, your thoughts back on Him so that you can remain joyful - lighthearted, radiant, cheerful, in good spirits. And then it means complying with the wishes, orders and authority of the one asking and doing it without attitude.

Last night at Bible Study we were talking about SIN being "I" at the center. When you are at the center of your life, this is the best description of sin. But when you open the door and let God in, when you give him the keys to unlock every basement, attic, and hidden cellar and let Him re-arrange the furniture and decorate your house, doing it with you, you are beginning to realize what it means to joyfully obey.

OK, I have so far to go on this. But thank God life is a process and a journey and we are in it for the long-haul like a long distance runner!

3 comments:

shontell said...

that is great stuff. My goal today is to do my running...my baby woke way too early which left me off schedule, and to respond to every situation with a joyful heart. The lady on the radio said this was a good challenge- for whom I can't quite be sure. I am sure to fail after an hour, but I am willing to give it a try to see if I can put my money where my mouth is. She ended her incredibly perky radio spot with "be aware, if you decide to take on this new attitude, be prepared to be challenged." Bring it.

Matty C. said...

I like the whole redecorate analogy. I'm one of those guys who is stubborn and likes his stuff the same. I like it that way that I like it, not the way others think it should be. So letting God decorate is an excruciating experience at times. Sometimes I feel like I don't even hear him telling me it's time. Sucks!!!

Jen in Budapest said...

keep up the running Shontell! Be encouraged....

Matty, I like the whole redecoration analogy too. Stole it from somewhere. I like analogies.