Sunday, September 23, 2007

Eventful Weekend


It's been an over the top one....

posted picture is me listening to "Lead me to the cross" by Hillsong...more about that later...

Friday night I went with a few Hungarians to a city-wide prayer meeting that just started to meet and pray for Budapest. The meeting took place in a large, old, communist style building in an upper room. Yes, an upper room. We had to get in this really scary freight elevator to go up. Apparently, the building is owned by a Hungarian Christian who rents out the building to people who want to meet for church events.

My Hungarian believing friends Tomás and Gisella interpreted for me as it was all in Hungarian and I didn't understand most of it. We had some incredible worship (a few songs were Hillsong but in Hungarian) and then we prayed for the city. I really felt the presence of God there even though I couldn't understand most of it. Amazing how it made sense and I knew that these people had the same heart I do for this city and nation.

Saturday morning I took my roommate to Margaret Island, one of my favorite places in Budapest. It's so green, spacious, lots of trails to bike, walk, run. She found some tennis courts so we are going to do that in the future. Should be interesting. Haven't played tennis since I was like 8 years old, playing with Dad. Amazing how you remember those things.

Saturday afternoon I had to find my way to the venue for the Hillsong United concert via the bus. Yes, Budapest hosted Hillsong United. And I have to say my friend Anett (26 yr old amazing Hungarian woman of God) had a big part of getting them here. I made it and I was only 15 minutes late! Anett, (who wants to help this spring with Straight Up Beautiful) asked if I would help at the product table for the Hillsong United concert. Each of us wore t-shirts which said which language we spoke so people could order. For example, mine said "I speak english" because I obviously don't speak Hungarian! Other languages were German and Romanian. But people came to the table from Germany, Austria, Romania, Slovakia, Ukraine, and I think a few others. My head was just spinning. On top of this, the guys and gals who helped at the product table are from Australia. Fun Aussie english accents was an interesting twist to it all!! As to the European languages, can you see the problems the United Nations has on their hands in the European region? English is a must here even though a lot of the Eastern European, developing nations are still behind in learning it. So I'm starting to warm up to the idea of speaking my native language more and that it's a good thing. I hope you don't think I'm a snob. Believe me. I love my native tongue, my native home....

Most of the night I spent serving at the table but I did go inside for a few of the songs and the song "Lead me to the cross" was really doing something inside of me. I think it's the beginning of something stirring in me recently to draw near to God like I haven't in a long time. Do songs ever do that to you?

I didn't want to buy the limited goods that were there at the product table as its harder for people in this area to get things, even with internet. You can't easily download from i-tunes unless you have a secure credit card and unless your American or British, it's not really possible. So, tonight I am downloading the CD "All of the Above" from Hillsong United.

Today Nori and I met and were able to start talking about some great things. I love watching God work in people's lives. It's really such a privilege.

In case you haven't heard the song "Lead me to the cross" by Hillsong...Here are the lyrics...

Savior I come
Quiet my soul
Remember
Redemptions Hill
Where your blood was spilled
for my ransom
Everything I once held dear
I count it all as lost

Lead me to the cross
where your love poured out
bring me to my knees
Lord, I lay me down
Rid me of myself
I belong to you
Oh, lead me.
Oh, lead me to the cross.

You were as I
tempted and tried
Human
The word became flesh
bore my sin and death
now you're risen
everything I once held dear
I count it all as lost

lead me to the cross
where your love poured out
bring me to my knees
lord I lay me down
rid me of myself
i belong to you
oh lead me
lead me to the cross....

To your heart
Lead me to your heart
Lead me to your heart

No comments: