Sunday, September 30, 2007

Security

Recently I was talking to my best friend about my future. I was asking Him some very specific things and wanting Him to give me very specific answers as to what He thought about it all. Instead, He spoke generally but His encouragement couldn't have been more timely. It was all about being secure and confident, no matter what it looks like in the natural.....so I digress but I'll come back to that thought.

Being in Eastern Europe there are specific insecurities that come up being a woman. Ladies dress to the hilt just to go to the post office. I mean, they are decked out, beautiful, skinny.....some guys might say "they're hot!" I'm not insecure around other women but there's this weird thing that happens where the men are checking every girl out and you feel those roving eyes. It's kind of creepy.

A funny thing happens on the trams and metros too. Because I'm a people watcher, it bothers me so much as I watch it over and over again, but I must say I'm absolutely intrigued as to what must be going on in the hearts and minds of the people.

For example, a guy and a girl will be on the tram or metro displaying their love for one another by how close they stand and the lip service they give each other, quite literally. Then, another girl will come on the tram and if the guy looks at her, the girl in his arms somehow feels she has to try harder to keep her man's attention. Again, it's weird. How sad. How twisted. No doubt these girls feel insecure.

I want to know that I am the only woman my husband is going to look at. Of course, most of these couples are in and out of relationships just as quick as....well, I won't go there, but I think we have to be careful to guard our eyes and I've never been more sensitive to that than being here in Eastern Europe.

My dad was a really good example for us girls, setting the standard. I remember many times my mom saying "I've never been jealous of your father because I know he's only looking at me." No extra winks, nods, or flirtatious stuff going on with ladies he was around, which is a good thing because He was married to my mom! I like that. I want that.

So it brings me to this thing of security. This best friend reminded me that my future is secure.....and what I will do in my life is secure. I don't need to worry, fear, or feel threatened.

Something that is secure is free from danger or threat; it's fixed, fastened so as not to give way, become loose, or be lost; it is certain to remain or continue safe and unharmed; contains a feeling of safety, stability, and freedom from fear and anxiety.

I rest in that. I rest in the knowledge that no matter what it looks like, my future is held in my best friends hands. Because besides being my best friend, He created the world, holding it in His hands, spinning galaxies and keeping oceans tide at bay. I think He can handle my future.

No comments: