Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Ambitious pursuit?



So I know it sounds and looks really ambitious. But a sprint tri is really not as difficult as poeple may think. I know I always thought a tri was something people do who really want to just die. These people want to kill themselves just to say they are the ironman champ. But, I'm changing my ways when it comes to thinking about (and actually starting to train for) a sprint tri. A sprint tri is like the baby tri in the triathlon family. It's like the kisbaba (little baby in Hungarian).

And so here in Budapest, the internet is my personal trainer. I had the joy of working out with a friend once this summer who has a personal trainer. The personal trainer, Brian, was great and if I were in Reno longer, I probably would figure out a way to afford his services. But as I said, the internet is my personal trainer.

I just read that yoga (I know my yoga-loving sister, Noel, will love this!) and pilates are good for tri-training because of the recovery and core building it does for your body. So, just a few minutes ago I did a few sets of pilate stretches and I can already feel the difference in my lower back and hips. That's where it hurts since I've been running. I hate running. I really do. But I've read it's also the fastest way to burn calories and that's interesting when you are trying not to die, when you don't have a death wish but just a wish and you just want to finish a tri race.

I found a website "When Big Boys Tri" with a few great quotes. Don't worry, I know I'm not a boy and I'm not trying to be one either but I wanted to see what the website featured. Been checking out a lot of things online. Here's a few quotes they have posted that I really like....

"It's not the race. It's the journey."

"Don't go to the grave with life unused."

It's interesting how easy it is to race ahead and forget about the surrounding scenery. I do that a lot. When I find myself discontent, I wonder why. It's no wonder. Life is a journey. I have to remember to embrace it and live. But it's just as easy to wait around for something or someone to jump start your life and then you find yourself at the grave with an unused life.

Life starts today. I want to be that turtle and take in all the moments but truly live all the moments too.

1 comment:

No(dot dot)el said...

Me and the kiddos did Pilates last night together. Lo was the only one to stick out the whole video with me. I am feeling it today. Love the Pilates but I love even more the Yoga. I do love that you have incorporated that into your regime.
In other news- I got the best documentrary the other night on Rocky. Can't wait for you to see it. Good stuff.