Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Re-entry

Somewhat like a space shuttle mission (though I've never been on one but can easily imagine), I get this very uneasy feeling whenever I'm about to cross over to the other side of the globe. It happened on my way back to the states this summer and it's happening again now. Atmospheric changes I guess. The atmosphere feels thicker, denser, with a lot of unknowns......Leaving the comfort of the familiar to re-enter the "other" familiar.

The hardest part for me is leaving behind the ones I love. I absolutely hate that part. What is good about leaving a wonderful support system, an amazing family and all the comfort of relationships with years of history? Nothing except I guess that when I do come home, I haven't worn out my welcome!

Sometimes I wonder the same question my mom posed to me earlier this summer...."Jen, when are you going to come home and just be "normal..."? Good question mom and since there's really no good definition of what "normal" looks like, why don't we just live out our best self, love God and love people and let the chips fall where they may? I don't have an answer except that nations and peoples and worship all resonate within my soul. God created me for this, I guess.

Last night I went to see my parents and Aunt and Uncle for the last time. My Uncle, who is not a believer said to me, "What did we ever do to you? What are you running from? Why are you going half way across the globe? Did your parents do something to hurt you? Did we?" Oh Uncle Mal. Thanks for keeping life interesting and asking the hard questions.

Where would I run to and what would I be running from? Can there be such a thing as being given so much freely and now wanting to go, with bags loaded (literally my luggage is really full!) to freely give away what's been given to me?

Currently Europe is one of the darkest continents on the planet. Spiritual things are happening on practically every other continent but Europe is in desperate need of a touch from God. America is headed in a similar direction but as of today there truly is a wonderful "open heaven" over America. The sense of joy and freedom here is still very obvious as compared to when you cross over to Europe. Will I be there forever? I don't think so, but I'm there now, trusting God to fulfill His purposes and bring forth a new generation of young people who love Him and know Him intimately.

The funny thing is that the way I see it, missions happens every day wherever life happens. All of us have been given so much. Why do people view this whole thing differently? They shouldn't. In my humble opinion it doesn't matter if you're in Africa, Asia or America, we are called to live "missionally" or to be so aware of our culture and surroundings and open to what God is doing as we give it away on our jobs, in our relationships, and everywhere we find ourselves every day. My life is really no different than yours....except maybe some certain atmospheric changes, but if God has given me grace to embrace those things, then so be it. He knows and writes every page in the book of our lives, doesn't he? And if he does, then each one of us are living the great adventure, aren't we?

5 comments:

Lacy said...

Wonderful thoughts my dear...very encouraging - I hear ya! Thanks for the comments. I realize I haven't been the best at giving them back, so thank you, it is always a blessing to hear from you =)

TimmyMac said...

Good stuff Jen . . . Jesus said a prophet is without honor in his own town (country, familiar surroundings, family) . . . what you're doing is important . . . keep on bloggin' and we'll remember to pray for you . . .

No(dot dot)el said...

I love you sister and I KNOW FULLY that you and your life is making a difference. I love you so much and I am SO PROUD OF YOU!!

Jen in Budapest said...

Lacy....I love reading about your adventures in Mammoth! Keep posting. Thanks for the encouragement Tim, right? Thanks for introducing yourself at Hillside too. I appreciate it. Noel, that was tough. I didn't like that departure. That really stunk big time. Love you sis and I'm proud of you. You're an awesome mama and wife. Jen

Jen in Budapest said...

And an amazing sister and friend to me...I love you for who you are and who God's created you to be, sis. You rock.