Sunday, September 7, 2008

Indian summer

Apparently, an Indian summer is "a period of unusually dry, warm weather occurring in late autumn" and that's exactly what's taking place here in Budapest at the moment.

The result is that the streets smell worse than normal, people are irritable, hot and sticky and all around it's miserable. I took a shower this morning before church and was out of the house until around 2 pm. When I got back to the flat, I felt like I smelled so bad and wanted another shower! My friend Anna has OCD because she won't touch anything and gets sort of freaky-deaky about touching things. I figure just always have hand sanitizer in your bag. Nona, the girl who is staying with me until Saturday, had the right idea and had the light off in the kitchen when I got back while checking internet. I moved my bed back up to the loft a week or so ago, thinking it was finally cooling off as there were a few cool mornings but it's not about to cool down. Apparently not. :D

I just took a shower again and I'm out the door to meet Nori and Dori. We are going to transition all the responsibilities Nori used to have for the Foundation to Dori. Dori just got back from working for the summer in Yellowstone Park and I'm looking forward to hearing about her adventures in the USA. But I'm not looking forward to stepping back outside into the hotness. I walk and take public transport so vehicles with air conditioning are not an option for me. Oh well. This is the price I pay. It's really not that bad. I just wanted to let you know we're experiencing a very hot Fall at the moment. Maybe it's global??? I'm ready for the cool Fall breezes to blow through Budapest.

4 comments:

No(dot dot)el said...

well if its any consolation it is still hot here also. still in the 90's it's okay though because it does at least cool off at night and i am thinking the longer it stays warm the better it will be for our heating bill. that is one good thing for us.

Jen in Budapest said...

that would be a good thing for you guys! :D

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Indian summers! We are having a bit of one right now. But yours sounds super hot! Hope it gets bearable for you soon.

akshaye said...

Wow.. trust me I've seen plenty of Indian Summers! Hope it feels more like Fall soon!