Sunday, September 21, 2008

music, guitars and Tyler

I had the strangest but coolest dream this morning. Don't know if I can fully describe it -- simple but powerfully encouraging.

My sister and I were laying on a bed, talking and singing. She was singing a worship song that, I could tell, was a song everyone knew. It was something I knew enough to sing along and as it came to one part, I sang the song so loud and so strong and then I began to sing words that were not part of the song but fit with the song very well. I woke up wanting to have my babysitting job back -- I miss the guitar and learning some chords. I want to write music that expresses my soul to God. I know SO little about it, it's ridiculous, but I want to develop it. This would take a lot of discipline. I don't know that I have what it takes or that I want it that bad. I sort of just want to piddle around on it and have fun.
----------------
Funny and revealing story. My friend Anna and I were talking yesterday about guitar. She's starting guitar lessons and I actually asked Renea to teach me guitar. Then Anna asked me about a picture I posted to facebook and she goes "So how did you play the guitar left handed?" I laughed so hard because although I have one picture of me playing normally -- which is right handed, I took a few of me playing but I just grabbed the guitar and wasn't playing----truth is, I'm a poser. I was posing. :D The truth is I had been playing earlier normally but at that brief moment I wanted a picture. I know....

We laughed so hard and then all night long while listening to music and talking we kept playing everything left handed. Yes, I'm a big dork and I have a lot to learn when it comes to guitar. Oh well.
---------------
Tonight the team arrived from Texas and we went for dinner and introductions. I got to talk to Tyler and Chris, who have been friends since college and used to play in a band together. More recently, Tyler is doing really well. It was great to hear how he writes music and how he had to be disciplined, practicing 6-8 hours a day at one point. Wow. That's discipline. He's going to be playing in some pubs and cafes here in Budapest and I'm really excited about it. All of this in light of my dream last night. I'm inspired, but I have no guitar to practice with. Bummer. Wish I could transport my guitar from Nevada over here to practice for awhile.

Check out Tyler's music. Should be great to mix it up on the streets of Budapest.
http://www.myspace.com/tylerdodds
http://www.tylerdodds.com/v4/

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I noticed the left handed thing and it had me confused. Because you either have to reverse the strings or play the chords upside down. Thanks for solving the mystery.

Jen in Budapest said...

Yeh, just trying to keep everyone on their toes. Seriously though I'm just sort of a dork :D

akshaye said...

Jen.. you are such a dork (in a very good way!). Btw - there is another option, just get a guitar instead of getting a baby sitting job!