Monday, October 6, 2008

Music is the latest adventure I want to conquer.....



Renea is giving me guitar lessons and letting me borrow her electric guitar to practice on. So cool! I feel like a rockstar but at this point I'm so bad that I'm practicing basic chords and rhythm. My first lesson was basically just learning how to play the G,Em,C, and D chord with some rhythm. I clipped my nails and started building up callouses already. So thankful that she's letting me use her guitar. It's funny but over the past two years, I've used their guitars, their bikes. They sure are going to get a lot less use when I'm gone!! ha ha.

On Saturday night I had a get together at my house with some friends and invited my new middle eastern/italian friend to come and bring some entertainment with his setar. What an interesting instrument. It was amazing to hear him play. I felt like I was right in the middle of the middle east as he effortlessly played this amazing Persian instrument. I started thinking once I get to a good place with the guitar, maybe I will look into getting a setar. They are incredible both in sound and this particular one was hand crafted and gorgeous. I fell in love with its rivets and strings. The sounds this instrument plays! Amazing.


5 comments:

akshaye said...

We have the same instrument in India. Only we call it a sitar and I think its a little larger. One of my fav instruments... its got such a unique sound to it. You may have heard in some of the Beatles tracks (with Ravi Shankar) - Norwegian Wood and Strawberry Fields Forever.

Keep rocking!

No(dot dot)el said...

you are beautiful my rockstar sister.

Jen in Budapest said...

Akshaye - yeah, that's cool. I actually did some research after my friend played and found out that India has a version of this Persian instrument. Very cool. There's also the "tar" which is a lot bigger. Yeah, I think I remember the tracks with Ravi. Cool.

Noel - thanks sis. Love you. Hows your crazy schedule going?

shontell said...

YAY I love music more than garlic! That's a big deal for an Italian girl! I wanted to start with the guitar because it is high on my list of loves. I settled for the piano which I also love. I have been able to play and learn a little easier. Plus, the results are immediate. I don't have to hold my hands a fancy way or build up callouses to play Christmas music. I have recently had to stop taking lessons and it is killing me. Keep up the good work friend.

Jen in Budapest said...

More than garlic? Wow. I've been cooking with a ton of garlic these days so I can appreciate that statement!! ha ha.

Guitar, then setar baby! That's the direction I'm going.