Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Old and full of years....

This morning I opened my Bible to the last few chapters in Job. I found some interesting and noticeable things in Job 40-42. To paint a brief backdrop of Job's life, He had just experienced the loss of everything that was meaningful to him in life. And, I think because of those circumstances and the pain of it, his vision of God was small. Even his friends who tried to help him understand what was happening had a small vision of God and didn't speak with understanding.

So in this chapter, it's as if God is contending with Job's mind to consider how incredibly great God is, despite his circumstances. I don't think Job lost complete faith in God but he was obviously curious about where God was in the middle of it all. It seems that his eyes were drawn lower, to the base realities that faced him on a day to day basis. And who can blame him? I've done the same thing for lesser losses. Job lost everything. He had nothing and his friends were quick to find out why this was happening to him. It seems to me in the final chapters of Job God wants to make a few things clear.

In chapter 40, God reminds us to look at even a few things in creation -- for example, the Elephant, which may be what is being referred to in 40:15, and its strength, its power, even visible in the tail and in verse 19 God says, "Yet it's Maker can approach it with his sword." Even though no one can easily capture it, God is no match for the strength of an animal we might fear. He goes on and talks of other animals in chapter 41.

What I find interesting is this is enough to remind Job of who God is. Just look at a few things in creation and it becomes clear. Our sights are low. Our view of God is low. And we need to see things clearly.

After this conversation, Job takes his eyes off the painful circumstances where he wonders where God disappeared to and instead see things from God's perspective. And I think that's the point. Sometimes our view of God is so little, so incredibly small, so dumbed down to the lowest common denominator. We have no idea of His majestic state, though we might get a glimpse here and there.

Job 42:1-6
"Then Job replied to the Lord: I know that you can do all things; no purpose of yours can be thwarted. You asked, who is this that obscures my plans without knowledge? Surely I spoke of things I did not understand, things too wonderful for me to know. You said, Listen now, and I will speak; I will question you and you shall answer me. My ears had heard of you but now my eyes have seen you. Therefore, I despise myself and repent in dust and ashes."


As I read verse 12-16, I was amazed. "The Lord blessed the latter part of Job's life more than the former part.....
"Job lived....and died, old and full of years."


Sometimes I find myself going through circumstances that bring my eyes lower and I need to see things clearly once again. One of the responses will be the reality that we have been foolish in our thinking. Job realized this and repented or turned from this thinking in the hopes of being restored to a greater vision. Not only will God do it but every loss we sustain, He will multiply in blessing. I want my future days to be greater than what I've experienced and known this far. I want to die old and full of years of incredible stories and memories of God's goodness. I'm thankful for this little treasure this morning that reminded me no matter what I face, God is greater.

No comments: