Tuesday, October 28, 2008

thank you DHL


I don't like to complain, but I just need to vent.

Today was the last day to turn in your election ballot at the US Embassy here in Budapest where they would securely mail it for you free of charge. One of the benefits, I guess. Being a good American citizen, I researched a lot, especially for local candidates in Nevada that I had no idea about and I had my ballot filled out and ready to go this morning. It's a good 20 minutes to get to the Embassy and I made it there this morning. The Embassy is gated and guarded so you have to show your passport when you get there. So, I said "Good Morning" and showed him my US passport. The guard said, "You must come back between 1 pm - 4 pm for American services." I was a bit frustrated, but this is the day I'm using my voting power so I was also excited. I didn't really pursue the matter because he's a guard and I figured the Embassy was closed until 1 pm and I would figure out a way to get back during those hours.

I was able to come back later in the afternoon. I passed the guard, went through security, got a number and only waited a few minutes before seeing the attendant. When I took out my ballot, she said, "I'm sorry but our last package of ballots was mailed off this morning. We won't be mailing any more ballots."

"This morning? I was here this morning ready to turn it in but I was told to come back between 1-4 pm. Are you serious?"

"Yes, but the guards were instructed to take ballots this morning so I don't know why they didn't take yours."

"Are you serious? You won't be able to take my ballot and mail it? There's no possible way you have one last group going out?"

"No, maam. We sent the last one this morning."

This morning. I was at the US Embassy this morning. I showed the guard my US passport. The guards were instructed to take our ballots. Here's where government offices and administration goes bad. The US Embassy in Budapest is there to serve US citizens, right? All those who work for the Embassy should have this as their primary desire, atleast at a base level. Civil service, public service, just service.

It would have been obvious for me, I think, if I were a guard, knowing that elections are next week and a US citizen came to the gate to say "American services are from 1-4 pm unless you have a ballot. I can take your ballot." Instead, he led me to believe that all American services would be provided during that time and, as a civil servant, he had nothing further to say that could help the situation.

Are my expectations too high??

Oh, I was livid inside. Tears started to well up and I explained to the woman how important it is for me to vote and again asked if there would by any chance be anything she could do. Could she fax it? We looked up the State of Nevada, and they don't allow it to be faxed. So, she suggested I go down the street and send it DHL. It's really probably not the biggest deal in the world. But I ended up paying $50 to have my ballot mailed to Carson City, Nevada and I just need to vent because when I think of government entities such as the US embassy, I think of it as a refuge, a place to serve US citizens living overseas. Unfortunately, that didn't happen today in Budapest. Frustrated but I'm over it! Atleast I voted and now have a clear conscience going into the elections. Thank you DHL.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I never thought about how challenging it would be to vote when you're in another country. $50 to vote - yikes! But, I am glad you were able to get your ballot sent off!

akshaye said...

$50 to vote.. wow. Its amazing that they were so inefficient.

TimmyMac said...

Way to persevere . . .

Of course now thanks to you, I can't blog/complain about having to smell the food at Scolari's while I stood in line for fifteen minutes so I could early vote . . .

I guess we each suffer in our own special way. :-)

(Maybe that's why they call it "suffrage")

No(dot dot)el said...

good for you jen and you may i just say you are a true patriot for not only voting but paying to do so.
YOU ROCKED the vote today!!

Me too. Today must have been a good day to vote. One week and it will all be over. HALLELUYER!!

Jen in Budapest said...

Tim - that's great. Yeah, women and men's suffrage!!