Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Revisited Hal Higdon's Half Plan

I recently purchased a city bike from a guy here in Budapest for $15. It's not Triathlon training style but nonetheless it's a bike and since I haven't been able to make it to spin classes with Lisa (which is an hour away -- in the boon-docks of Budapest), this bike was a perfect fit. I've been lamenting over the fact that it's not reasonable to buy a nice bike and then worry about shipping it over to the US. II didn't want to worry about returning with a bike, but other than borrowing Chris' mountain bike, I didn't see any options. So this was the perfect thing and it fell into my lap, not literally.

When I leave, I will bequeath it to Peter who has wanted a bike for a long time and will finally get his wish. In my mind, its a win win situation. The cost of the bike will be easily recovered n the equivalent of three hours of riding as three spin classes would cost $15 or more.

I also got inspired again to start training for a half and for another sprint tri this Spring. Since running the 5k in September, I've been hit and miss with training. I realized something about myself. If I don't have a goal in front of me and a training plan, forget it. Although I don't have any event in mind for the next several months, I pulled out Hal Higdon's Half training plan and added the cross training workouts from a Sprint Tri plan. Hope it works and I hope I'm not overdoing it. We shall soon find out. So far, so good. Needless to say, I'm excited about getting back on track and having a new plan, a new goal to shoot for.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so with you about having a training plan. If I'm not shooting for something I get random and downright lazy at times. Good luck and train well! And enjoy the new wheels. :)

Unknown said...

I find it hard to get motivated without a plan as well.

akshaye said...

That's great that you were able to get a bike. The new plan should be ok.. did you actually increase the duration of the cross training?

Jen in Budapest said...

I just added the cross training components from a sprint tri plan. :D So it wasn't so bad...How about you? What are you training for next?