Monday, October 13, 2008

The responsibility of being an American citizen

Although I haven't lived in Nevada for over two years, I am registered as a permanent resident in Carson City thanks to the parents address. When I received the absentee ballot here in Budapest, I realized I had a lot of work ahead of me by way of researching and understanding what's going on in my nation -- not only on an international level, but within Nevada. I've been listening to the presidential debates and forming my opinions, doing some research on key issues, but having a harder time with state politics. Voting for a Representative in District 2 - Dean Heller is the only familiar name on the ballot, but I need to find out what his track record is in Nevada. Assembly District 40 - Barbara Parnell has been a long time leader, but has it been good? Couldn't tell you. There are two supreme court justice seats, the Carson mayor, board of education and school trustee positions. Without having the constant barrage of media coverage on the presidential election, let alone local politics, I've been left to my own research for facts about the issues facing our nation and Nevada. It's a bit overwhelming, actually, but I count it a privilege that I am a citizen of a relatively free nation.

So, I'll be spending the next few evenings doing some research. Anyone who has opinions and ideas about the Nevada seats, I would be interested to hear those or if you have good websites I can visit, even better.

2 comments:

No(dot dot)el said...

I can help as far as Dean Heller is concerned- vote for anybody but him. I personally knew him, he used to take kids to the community center preschool , not a good vote there. He's creepy!!
The rest of them the jury is still out although the Parnell's have a good standing name in Nevada and I would vote for her just because I knew her son, is that really right? Dunno?? No seriously, I think she is good person. The supreme court judge I am going with the woman whose last name escapes me right now.
And we all know nationally who my vote is for and why.
Well, that should keep you busy for the next few weeks.

Jen in Budapest said...

Well, I knew you had some opinions. :D