Sunday, October 12, 2008

My name is Johnny...



Last night Anna came over again and we decided to make dinner. I had tons of veggies with fresh garlic which I'm really into sauteeing recently and I made my famous pasta pesto. Anna wanted us to eat raw broccoli bushes with her olive oil, salt, fresh garlic dippage and all I have to say about fresh broccoli in Budapest is that it's really bitter. Talk about organic girl, that would be Anna. I don't have anything against it, but I like steamed broccoli with lots of melted cheese on it. Much more my style, but since broccoli is a good source of fiber and you have to keep village earthy girl happy, we did try her dippage thing. I felt like I was eating little trees live with those broccoli trunks. I also had some chocolate chip cookie dough left over from Wednesdays high school english group and so we made a batch of cookies. Sometimes, I just love being able to stay inside and enjoy the simple things in life. Yet in those moments, it's all about your company. If you have good company it's a lot of fun.

Anna has become a great friend. She's great company. We chatted, practiced guitar and laughed at our personal jokes and antics. Then I got in the mood to watch a movie. Walk the Line was our best option as we have both really been in this guitar practicing, rock star mode, and decided a good dose of Johny Cash and June Carter was the answer. I love to read biographies and autobiographies so its no wonder that I love movies based on people's lives as well.

Watching the movie, two things came to mind. First, oh God save me from ever becoming like Johny's first wife. She didn't believe in him, always tore him down and I actually wondered - did she love him? I'm sure she did and that's a terrible thing to say but I guess I just realized that life does get hard and things happen and people change and pursue dreams and I would hate to ever be the woman in a man's life who tore that guy down or didn't believe in him, inspire and encourage him.

Second, I loved the part when Johny first went into the recording studio and the guy basically said that music should be about passion -- and what would you sing if it were the last song you had to sing?

Sometimes I get so sad about my musical inabilities but I don't have nearly enough time to put into learning guitar. I want to though. Isn't it amazing how much an instrument can stir the deepest crevices of your soul, especially when you're creating something from nothing? Anna and I had fun with that aspect of the guitar and we've been information sharing.

1 comment:

akshaye said...

That's one of my favorite movies. As is Johnny Cash's whole life story. I think its a lesson in redemption. All you need is faith and people who love you.