Sunday, November 4, 2007

Joy comes

The alarm goes off at 6 am and I'm well aware it's early. I fumble out of bed, change into running clothes, heat some water for coffee and open up my Bible.

Yesterday I was wrestling with random thoughts and feelings of discouragement, fear and even sorrow. Thoughts about my visa, the girls who have started to come around English club, Christmas and whether I will get to go home, my future and on and on. Not wanting to go to bed in this funk, I tried to chase down these unexplainable thoughts and feelings. Here's a quote that's been a good thing for me. "Our feelings and our experiences are not the sum total of truth. God's word is truth and we need to cling to that when what we can observe tells us otherwise." Then I opened to Psalm 34.

He frees us from all fears and those who look to Him for help are radiant with joy - that no shadow of shame will darken the face - and desperate prayers, oh yes. They are welcome because those who trust God won't lack one good thing!

The water is heated so I make a cup in the french press and drink it as I re-read Psalm 34 this morning. Great stuff to chew on. I get my running shoes on, lace up my house keys and grab the i-pod. I'm off for a good run.

It's 7:20 am at Hero's Square and other than a few tourists milling around, there's not a lot of activity. With leaves still falling and painting the roads with crushed orange, firey red and bright yellow leaves, I'm in awe of God's creation. He made all of this for me (and you)? Wow.

Songs I'm listening to as I run include "Shadowfeet" Brooke Fraser, "Speed of Sound" Coldplay, "No One" Alicia Keys, "Check for Us" Cross Movement, "Lead me to the cross" Hillsong United, "Signature of the Divine"Needtobreathe, "Yellow" Coldplay, "Put Your Records on" Corinne Bailey Rae, "My Hope" David Crowder, and "Keep Holding on" by Avril Lavigne.

I ran for about an hour....with a few times 1 minute stops to walk out the cramp in my neck and back. Excited to see what the future holds. I'm releasing my fears to Him. As I look to him minute by minute, I am radiant with joy. Joy comes in the morning.

No comments: