Monday, November 26, 2007

What's that smell?

Cleaning out my fridge recently I realized that there were a few items my roommate and I kept in there way past their expiration date. Smelly food is just not appealing. Once it was creamy white milk that you pour on your cereal or put into coffee. Now, it's curdled and has become a completely different substance. Leftovers from a previous nights delicious meal sit inside plastic wear and slowly become something else over time.

I started thinking about how many times I've held onto expired things in my life - attitudes that no longer serve me well, ideas and thoughts about people and things that are way past their time and must be released, hurts that I've allowed to sit and grow into something else over time.

Once again, it's time to clean out the fridge again both literally and in my personal life. There will always be things that need to be renewed. Life is about maintenance and sometimes we have to do some cleaning out to make room for new things. Here's to a winter cleaning.

No comments: