Saturday, November 10, 2007

Life Journey....the Alps

This morning I read a Spurgeon devotional giving an analogy that the way of life is much like traveling through the Alps. The Alps mountain range spans the distance of several European countries including France, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, Germany, Slovenia, and even little old Liechtenstein. The vast mountain range brings constant exposure to unclear mountain paths and one's feet can easily slip at different points along the way. This is true with any mountain range, I suppose. Not only is a life traveler exposed to pitfalls, the unexpected challenges of both rough and smooth terrain, but trouble comes with knees that get weak, feet that get weary of walking, changes in climate, dehydration and I'm sure the list goes on.

Thinking in terms of a mountain range is a bit of a shift for me. The analogy of being a long distance runner has always been an inspiration to me. Maybe this analogy has been most liked because the path is clear and it's all about endurance. Whoever just keeps running is going to make it to the finish line. Yet life is often much more about climbing the mountain. I don't think I really like that. Sometimes I would much prefer to know what I'm getting into rather than take on the unexpected. Yet I pride myself on being "the adventurous one."

As I thought about this analogy one truth came to mind about this climb called "Life's Journey". When you are fastened into unchanging truths - it's much like owning the equipment that avid mountain and rock climbers use - there is something settling that takes place in your life. Even when I lose my grip or the terrain is worse than I thought, my life is fastened into the unchanging love of God. I find the "tools" I need to get through. Whether that means glacier glasses or ice axes for mountaineering, I can get through everything and anything with His strength in my life.

His love, His faithfulness, His strength does not change even when everything around me is chaos, even when everything in my circumstances look unclear. I will make it to the top of the mountain and live to tell about it.

When I have difficulty climbing the mountain, I have to remember that I am fastened into His faithfulness and I have got every tool I need for success. It's because of my relationship with Him that I can make it to the top. I'm not going anywhere, even if I'm just hanging off the side of the mountain, swinging back and forth. I will wait for Him to come and help me. I don't care if it looks foolish. I'm not going anywhere because I want to make it through and to the top. He is there for me and He is there with me in this mountain climb.

No comments: