Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Big Hungarian Holiday

So tomorrow is a big Hungarian holiday here and everyone gets the day off. There will be events across the street from where I live and fireworks in the evening celebrating how St. Stephen made Hungary a nation around 1000 a.d. I found a few you tube clips on Hungary. This one was kind of fun because it's some video clips of the famous Andrassy street from Oktogon to the Opera House. It gives you a taste of life in Budapest. The pictures of the underground metro are pictures of the first underground built in all of Europe, even before the first one was built in London. It's barely below ground but the work inside is beautifully restored and probably the cleanest of the three metros. So that's fun for you to see.



Anna just got back from the states today so she will come tomorrow night and stay over so we can catch up, eat chocolate, play her guitar, probably watch a movie and laugh a lot. That's usually what we do when we hang out. I'm sort of bummed to be giving her the guitar back. Maybe she'll let me keep it a little longer. I re-learned the chords to one of my favorite Crystal Lewis songs called "Only Fools".
---------------

This weekend I'm going to a Renaissance carnival in Hungary called the Savaria Karneval. I'll stay at one of the university girls homes in a rural part of Hungary and two other girls that used to come to English club will join us too. I'm really excited to spend time with these girls, see another part of Hungary, go to this fair which will no doubt remind me of the Shakespeare Festival at Lake Tahoe, and just build with these girls. I'll be sure to take lots of pictures and post.
---------------

I was recently invited to consider a job opportunity in the US which would allow me to work with young people, missions training, travel and teach. I'm still in the interview process but I'm very excited about it. Although it still has to be confirmed, the greatest part about it is that I can be mobile -- setting up near family in Northern California/Northern Nevada. Offices are in Pasadena, California and somewhere else in the midwest, but from what I've been told so far, with what I would be doing, I could set up anywhere. This might just be the next step. I'll find out soon and I'm excited about that.

1 comment:

No(dot dot)el said...

Excited too about that last little bit of info you just shared. Very cool Jen. It is getting closer every minute. We are almost to the holidays which will be the hardest part and then there it is- time to come home :)