Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Love watching the human dolphin

I had my first glimpse of the Olympic games a few nights ago when I babysat for some team members who have access to the games (with Hungarian commentary of course.) Watching Michael Phelps in the water is a complete inspiration. That man truly is the human dolphin!! It's early this morning and I'm actually going to go to Margaret Island to work out -- I have a 7 mile run (yuck), which is about twice around the island and a 30 minute cross training,so I'm going to get in the pool in his honor :D

-------------

This morning I read in Genesis 9:15 "And I will remember my covenant." I'm so glad that this thing of being a Christ-follower is not dependant on me. Of course I understand that I must daily choose to walk it out but God himself has based this thing on His faithfulness, His covenant. That's good news to a heart that sometimes finds itself wandering.

-------------

I'm reading a book by JP Moreland called "Love Your God With All Your Mind; The Role of Reason in the Life of the Soul" and I'm more convinced than ever that somehow the Christianity of today has taught believers to leave their mind at the door. Perhaps by accident, perhaps by coincidence. I think it is obviously and absolutely important to teach people the disciplines of Christian life -- reading your Bible, prayer, fasting, giving and being missions minded - global in our thinking. Yet at the same time, we must engage --actively engage in culture -- from art, music, science, philosophy, anthropology, etc. Maybe that's why I like Ravi Zaccharias so much.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I often feel like a pathetic Christian and am also glad that things are not dependent upon me. Sounds like a great book.