Monday, August 25, 2008

A Roman Festival....oops. :D






The quaint place we stayed at near Sombathely is Dorca's parents vineyard cottage with just enough room for the four of us girls and Dorca's younger brother, who has his drivers license and was our chauffeur. We could see the Austrian Alps from the porch. Talk about amazing. It truly was.

--------



































Oh, and the festival was Roman not Renaissance. And there was a good reason for the Festival. This quaint town once was a part of the Roman Empire and the XVth Roman Legion was stationed here. I guess it was also a place for Veteran legions to retire. We enjoyed the parade and the events on Saturday and Sunday. I had a great time with Linda, Eszter and Dorca.


On Sunday afternoon we enjoyed a traditional Hungarian dinner (lunch) at Dorca's parents house in the village where Dorca grew up. There are only about 400 people in this village and apparently, their mayor comes out to water the flowers that line the town. Oh and there are TONS of Sunflower fields. Noel, you would have loved it. I posted a picture of one from her mom's garden for you. I should have taken more pictures. It was truly beautiful. Also, I decided after hanging out with Dorca's dog, which is a greater swiss mountain dog, that I now LOVE this breed. One day I want a big dog and now this swiss mountain dog will definitely be in the finals with the lab and the retriever.

















Back to the village -- it's definitely a different lifestyle than busy Budapest and I found myself thoroughly enjoying it. Actually Dorca mentioned how she's not looking forward to coming back in a week for college because being almost 4 hours from family is rough. I told her she can hang out at my place anytime she wants to get away from the dorms and I hope she does. These girls are great. Please be praying for them -- I'm trusting God to do great things in their hearts this Fall.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The dog sure is cute, but is not a Greater Swiss Mountain dog.
http://www.akc.org/breeds/greater_swiss_mountain_dog/

It is a Bernese Mountain dog.
http://www.akc.org/breeds/bernese_mountain_dog/index.cfm

Jen in Budapest said...

Thanks for the correction. I actually like both then, I guess.The Greater Swiss has shorter hair and that's appealing. Hmmm