Tuesday, May 6, 2008

60 some days....

This morning I got up and it hit me. I got a little nervous as I thought about only 60 some days before race day when I'll complete my first ever sprint-tri. I'm sure it won't be my last. I can tell already I'm going to want to perfect and improve and make this a part of the life-long journey.

As I set out this morning for a 3 mile run, I got half way into it when I realized that this might be fun too. That's important to me. I realized that Andrew, Berna, Javed and maybe Brittany will be there in London and I'm going to make some great memories.

I finished the run and went back to the flat long enough to go to the bathroom, grab Chris' bike, and head back to the park for a 30 minute bike ride. Yep. I did a brick workout today.All in all, it felt great. My hip is bothering me a bit, but I stocked up on MSM and hopefully the pain will leave post haste.

But something has been bothering me recently. My appetite is out of control and I haven't figured out how to not eat everything in sight. It's driving me crazy! Part of it may be training, but honestly, I think the other part is something I walked through about a year ago called "emotional eating." Yep. That's right folks - going to food for comfort. I learned a lot about this a year ago actually felt like with that insight I had some personal breakthroughs and was able to divert my appetite and see things change. I need to get back to that place. Not sure where to begin. Maybe by pulling out my old notes....that might be a good start.

9 comments:

akshaye said...

Jen - great workouts on the run and the bike. The key is to keeping having fun!

If its the training thats making you eat more then that may not be so bad. As you scale up your workouts, your body will naturally want more.

Btw.. I did ride the bike (and wear a helmet!) this morning. It was fabulous - more on that tonight.

Anonymous said...

You are going to do great on your first tri. You still have plenty of time left, too!

As for your eating. . . if it isn't emotional, keep track of what you're eating. Maybe you aren't getting enough for what you are doing. Make sure you have a good balance of carbs, protein, and yes, fat! Good luck getting that all figured out.

Ryan said...

Try running intervals for comfort. Wait! Those suck.

Who am I kidding, I too am an eating machine.

Good luck with that ;)

Kellye Mills said...

Ohhh... I'm such an emotional eater as well, and I'm seriously struggling with it a lot myself right now too, so well send some comfort to each other right now!!

Unknown said...

Training makes me hungry, so if you've ramped up the training for the upcoming race, it might be that and not emotional eating.

No(dot dot)el said...

try living with a "the man big mo" when it comes to cooking the boy is going to send me to the fat farm i swear.
yesterday chicken fettucini that was like pure butter and then today chicken bisquits and gravy that was to die for.
tellin ya, i would need to work out 21 hours a day. the other 3 hours given to eat the meals he makes.
can i help it, yes...do i want to NO!! life is just too short. enjoy jen. guilt free, enjoy. you are working overtime girl i am sure your body needs the gasoline.

Jen in Budapest said...

Akshaye, Lisa, Ryan - ramping up the workouts I guess I'm bound to have a bigger appetite.

Annette - thanks for those tips. I will start tracking today. I was thinking about doing that again just to see what I'm consuming. :D

Kellye- yes, we can encourage each other! I have a soft spot for chocolate. How about you?

Noel - I couldn't do it either. His cooking is out of control...

I know there's a balance and I have to find it. Thanks for the encouragement all....

BreeWee said...

Jen...
60 days, you have plenty of time to get your mind and body in full condition to have a great race! I am so excited for you to have a first tri... brings back the best memories of my first one!

Stay away from fast food :) it will make you slow...

God bless your socks off!

Jen in Budapest said...

Breewee - thanks for the encourament you're awesome!!

I know, I need to stay away from KFC! Argh!