Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Life callings

Yesterday I had an interesting conversation with a colleague of mine. I've known Matt for a long time. I remember when Matt and Christy first got engaged. They feel like family to me. Last year, Matt graduated from Fuller with his Masters in Global Leadership and in his journey to complete a Masters, he read an incredible amount of interesting books on destiny, calling, nations, people groups, Christianity, global religions, leadership, etc. Over this last year it's been interesting to get the nuggets from books he's read.

Yesterday after we finished up on campus, Matt and I had a great talk about future, destiny, life callings in the outside corridor of Elte University. He made a comment and asked a few questions that I've been mulling over all yesterday and this morning. What are you passionate about? What gets you excited in the morning when you wake up and think about your day? What do you "live for"?

As I've been thinking a lot about the future and the direction my life could go, these questions were poignant. If I were to throw all my passions, all my dreams, all my desires into one pot and turn up the heat -- after boiling it down to its essence -- I think you'd find a few major themes. Young people, Nations, Women, and Health Fitness.
And so I guess, when I consider my life right now, I realize that in this very moment I am absolutely living out the dreams in my heart.

Although I think about the future and how things will unfold, I am not fearful and I don't worry. I'd be lying if I didn't say I wasn't curious. I'm curious to know where I'll be in 5 years, 10 years. I wish that every step were marked out clearly today. My ultimate heart's desire in the midst of these things is that God would be known, loved and recognized for who He is in this generation. He is the most misunderstood one I know. He's judged so harshly for things He has little to do with. No one takes the time to find out who He is, let alone wake up in the morning excited to know Him, passionate about His love, "living for" Him. I guess when i think about life callings and passions, that's where I always want to be no matter what other themes are running through my life....Another blog for another day....

2 comments:

akshaye said...

Jen.. thats a great attitude. You are clearly doing what you love!

Meg said...

what a fantastic realization!