Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Tortoise and the Hare - Training Plans


There's something about following a training plan but having the flexibility to "mix it up" a bit that truly helps me stay on course. I know there are no short-cuts in training just as there are no short-cuts in life. I'm familiar with the story of the tortoise and the hare. For all my excitement and somewhat flashy personality, I'm much like the turtle. I'm slower than it appears. I'm also too afraid to venture off and do my own thing because I would wind up like the hare, losing the race.

I just recently started combining training plans for the Sprint Tri and the Half Marathon, with some overlap on the run schedules but increasing the amount of miles. Right now in that combination I just have to make sure, for the next several weeks, to build the base first 5 x a week running 3,4 and 5 mile combinations for the Half Marathon. According to the plan, I'll be increasing miles in a few weeks so that I can finally run the half distance. I can hardly believe it!

So back to the tortoise and the hare. The good news is that the tortoise always finishes the race. This is symbolic for me not only with training but in life. I'm all about the journey. Honestly, running is my least favorite part of sprint-tri, but something is happening inside. I'm beginning to like it. And at the end of the day, I want to finish the race. There are things in my personal life that I honestly don't like right now and areas of being steadfast and faithful where it would be much easier to do things my own way. I know different people have different goals in training and in life but I realized through this children's fable that I don't mind being slow and steady as long as I finish well. I'm fully alive when I hear the voice of only one echoing in my ears at the end of the day - living for the audience of only one.

If I just take one step at a time, put one foot in front of the other and not worry about the results, it's all going to come together both in life and on race day. I'll stay on the path and make it to the final destination. Happy running to you!

10 comments:

akshaye said...

Yep.. the plans really work - no matter how hard that is to believe!

You'll do great. I really really winged my plan while training for the full. But the thing I made sure of was to stick to the long runs every week.

One step at a time - its all about your journey! Good luck with the training plan my friend!

akshaye said...

Jen.. on an aside, I meant to tell you.. I just finished reading "The Last lecture" by Rand Pausch. I know you posted his video from Oprah so I thought you may be interested. Highly recommended.

Jen in Budapest said...

Thanks Akshaye! I appreciate your encouragement...one step at a time.
I just checked with I-tunes and his Audio book is available so I'm going to get it. Looking forward to "reading" it while traveling around Budapest. Jen

Cliff said...

The more you run, the faster/efficient you will run. In a sense, you can be the tortoise and the hare :)

shontell said...

Awesome post and encouragement. I am seriously feeling like the tortoise and envying the hare as he sleeps on the side of the road. I have had a cold for about a week now, and my body is rejecting exercise. I was supposed to run two miles the other day. I could tell I was a little feverish, but not totally useless. I did a slow jog while I watched Friends to keep me happy. Once I realized I was sweating unnaturally, I figured I was almost to the end. Sigh. After 10.5 minutes, I had "run" ALMOST half a mile. I finished my mile and took a nap.

No(dot dot)el said...

i just signed my name on the dotted line for another half marathon in october. do you see what you have started !!
love you. oh yes , and we all know who the real turtle is in this family (BIG SMILE)

Jen in Budapest said...

Cliff - Hey, nice combination. I like that. I just don't want to take shortcuts like the hare. :D

Shontell - I have found it's wise to let your body rest if your fighting a cold. You recover quicker and with fresh strength vs. a chronic feeling of sickness and never fully feeling like yourself. :D Hey, atleast you did a mile! Great job.

Noel - yes, its true. We know but I wasn't going to say anything. Since you did, I don't have to...:D (SMILE) Very nice job signing up fro another one! Love it.

Jen

No(dot dot)el said...

Yes, well I am taking some training tips from some other hares who are getting me motivated so maybe for the next marathon i will at least be a pretty good faker.
I love you so much. Hope you are having a great weekend.

BreeWee said...

Totally believe in the tortoise and hare story! Keep that great balance in life you got and both of those races will be fun fast ones!!

Unknown said...

training plans work! It might be tough to combine two together (half and sprint) but I'm sure you'll figure it out. :)