Friday, May 2, 2008

Sunflowers & Swim Training


At Ikea today while shopping for Nori's bridal shower gifts, I stopped in the flower section. I'm looking for flowers around my house. I'm not exactly what you'd call a green thumb, but flowers sure are beautiful! My neighbors hang flowers outside their door and it really makes me happy when I come walking home and look around at their potted flowers. So, I think I'm going to join them. But first I'll start with some inside flowers.

I found a sunflower that will go with the bright yellows and turquoise I put in my bathroom. This sunflower put a smile on my face! He needed a home and for $3 I could afford to give him one. :D Sunflowers have always been my sisters favorite. I remember when their neighbor in Carson City used to grow ginormous sunflowers. They truly are beautiful.
---------------
I must be what people call ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder). Every time I have something going on at my house (like Nori's shower), my place is an absolute mess -- as is the case today. I have about three projects going on at once.

Re-stain the coffee table (which I hope dries by tomorrow afternoon), sweep and mop















Hang picture frames for prints on a bare wall


















Unwrap new pillow cases from Ikea and admire the futon couch with my new, beautiful orange pillow cases - I promise they aren't that orange in real life!


I seem to always "kick it into high gear," getting a lot of things done all at once right before a big moment -- which causes a crazy mess for a few hours, but then I "whip clean." That's the term my mom coined for cleaning up your huge mess in a few minutes -- or in my case, hours. :P

There's a method to this madness. Start with the rooms that most people will be in first (livingroom and bathroom) and make sure it looks great. Throw everything into the other room (which happens to be my bedroom and kitchen) and sort through those things next.

Finally, your house will look fan-tabulous.
----------------

I got an email today that on May 18th there's an Open Water Swim seminar at Eton's Dorney Lake in London and top tri coach Bill Black will be giving open water swimming techniques and how to handle the mass start. Unfortunately, there's no way I'm going to be able to go to this. So my swimming tri friends, what advice would you give a novice? Will you be my Bill Black? (Not to be confused with film star Jack Black).

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog. Nice pics! As far as a mass start, the trick is in where you seed yourself at the start. Since you sound unsure of yourself, place yourself in the back, with the other slow swimmers (usually less aggressive back there). When the gun goes off, let the fast people pull ahead. Take your time, and start swimming slowly, with your head up to find a spot--like water polo freestyle. Pretty soon, you'll have a nice space to yourself. Then, you'll have lots of people to draft off of! Good luck!

No(dot dot)el said...

i love your lil sunflower. don't over water him and he should be fine. SUnny we should name him. i overwater all the time that would be how i kill things. i just get so excited to have something growing that i get a lil gun ho with the watering and before ya know it i kill it.
my first marathon on sunday. me and em are doing a trial run later today. then 6am get up and get ready sunday morn. pray for us.

akshaye said...

ooh nice.. you apartment looks very cool. The sunflower is beautiful - may inspire you like van gogh!

I could use some swimming advice myself. But I am signing up for a class this summer at the university. So I'll pass on anything I learn.

Jen in Budapest said...

Rachel - thanks. great advice. I appreciate it. I'll stay in the back with my head up and start slow.

Noel - I knew you'd like that sunflower :D I do too. Sunny is a good name for it. I need to look at how to care for the lil' guy or I'll be overwatering too I'm sure.

I got your message!!! Wooo hooo!!! I'm so proud of you and Emma. You diid a fabulous job! What was your finishing time!! I'll try and call in the morning...my skype number needs credit :D

Akshaye - Swimming lessons will be great I'm sure you'll learn a lot. Does this mean you're crossing over from marathon to triathlon?