Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Tanya's getting to see the Opera, Caves, and Vienna


First, a workout update. Last week and this week are recovery weeks, I guess, with fewer workouts on the plan. That worked out good because it's been crazy around here! But last night I was finally able to get a 35 minute bike ride in and a 3 mile run. It was a slow jog because it was still really warm at 7 pm. The amount of bugs flying around in the summer night heat reminded me that I need to do early morning workouts this summer! Needless to say, it felt great to workout.

It's harder when you have guests staying at your house. I'm constantly considering the amount of time I've had to spend at work so on my off time, I don't want to take another hour/hour and a half to work out when I know Tanya has had to fend for herself. Also, the Jakovlev family stayed for 3 days and they were in major transition, moving back to the states. It was just hard to leave Tanya with them just to go work out.

My brother's girlfriend Tanya arrived last Tuesday and although she's had to do a lot of things on her own and fend for herself because I have to work, I think she's enjoying herself and the city. She's really getting to see what my life is like in Budapest....including the smells, the language barrier, the little things that daily remind you you're living in a foreign country. We have had some gut-wrenching laughs. It's been great!

Some fun highlights of her trip -- Friday night we went to the Italian Opera "Don Carlos". If it weren't for the nice American lady who was sitting next to us who was familiar with the complicated plot I would have been completely lost as it was done in Italian and there were Hungarian subtitles above the stage box. I'm not exactly an Opera kind of girl, but this could really grow on me. The inside of the Opera House is beautiful and our seats were front and center. It's really fun to dress up and go out. I've never heard Italian Opera. That was cool.

Saturday we went to Vienna, Austria for the day. Tanya had a train ride experience as we visited the other capital of the Austrian-Hungarian dynasty, Vienna. We saw all the main important buildings and ate Wiener Schnitzel, which was fabulous. Just outside the city is the summer palace for the Hapsburgs. Their backyard alone was outrageous! The whole place was gorgeous, although I can hardly imagine actually being a Hapsburg and living in this place. Unfortunately, my camera died so I can't upload pictures. I have to wait until Tanya gets back to the states and uploads.

So far this week I worked Monday and Tuesday, but I pleaded for Wednesday off so I could show Tanya the caves. Chris is covering high school and university English clubs today so I'm very excited about going back to see this labyrinth of incredible formations beneath the city of Budapest. Part of it has to do with the thermal water hitting cold water many many years ago. They are so COOL! If you can imagine, we are bringing our sweaters today even though it's 80 degrees outside. The caves are chilly!

Still on the list of things to see include: Statue Park, Tropicarium, Visegrad Castle, Szentendre, Estergom. We are coming to the last five days of her stay and hopefully we can fit things in around the rest of my work schedule and events around Nori and Peter's wedding.

Tanya and I have had lots of conversations about a variety of topics. Everything from what it means to be a Christ-follower, sex before marriage, gay marriage, life forms on other planets, and something that's been really interesting to flash back to -- our old neighborhood in Carson City which is completely ghetto now (over by the 7-11 off Hwy 50). Tanya actually grew up just one street from us, our dads worked together in radio, but we never knew each others families because our dads weren't close. So my brother and Tanya never knew each other even though they lived a street away. What a small world. It's funny to talk to her about the field where we rode our bikes and walked as kids in a place that used to be near 7-11 which has now become a strip mall. It's strange for me to think about Tanya and realize that if Greg and Tanya make a commitment, she could be my sister-in-law. Having two sisters, it was easier to look at the men they chose and consider them as brothers because you have a different relationship with your brother. But a sister is something all together different. So I'm going through this interesting thought process about it all and I'm not sure if I like it. I think it's harder for families to accept their sons and brothers choices because there's something about that relationship where you realize this is the one who is going to draw your son/brother away. I don't know. I guess it could be true with sisters too, but so far that hasn't been the case in my family. Not to say that would be the case with Tanya and Greg. It's just been interesting to consider it all.

Well, these are my ramblings. I'm off to get a run in before we see the caves. Have a great week.

Have a great weekend if I don't blog again soon!

3 comments:

No(dot dot)el said...

Sounds like you are having great talks and good times. What's the story with your visa right now?

akshaye said...

Sounds like Tanya is having a great trip! Its great that you manage work, workouts and showing her around.. I'd be hard pressed to do all that!

Jen in Budapest said...

Noel - So the story with the visa is that it is still in process but I have a temporary permit to stay until the end of July.

Akshaye - I think she is! I'm hard pressed but smiling :D