Sunday, May 4, 2008

I learned Turkish today & other random things

My training week officially begins on Mondays and ends on Sundays. I had a 50 minute bike ride and a 55 minute swim still left on my workout chart. Unfortunately, when I ran with Luca on Friday, which was not in the plan, I sacrificed that time and sort of stacked myself up for today. Oops! I'll have to plan that better.

This morning I got myself out of bed and traveled across the street to the park where I did a 50 minute ride. I was planning to get in 55 minutes of pool time after our gathering today but many things happened. First, the weather went bad and it's beginning to rain. Second, we went for lunch and I'm tired! So, new plan. I'll tag that 55 minute swim workout for early tomorrow, along with the scheduled 25 minute run.
---------------
One of the guys brought a Turkish friend of his to our Sunday gathering today. I was impressed at how brave she is for living and studying in Hungary given her circumstances. Turkish is her first language. Then she learned a little English but she doesn't speak it fluently. She is studying in a Hungarian program for six months, which they translate into English. What a brave girl! And I thought school was hard?! Wow. Anyways, I asked her how to say:
"My name is Jen" in Turkish.
It sounds like this:...
"Adaom Jen."
At lunch we were laughing because what if your name is Adam....
You would say....
"Adaom Adam." :D

Languages, nations, and the world. What a fascinating thought! And what I find absolutely alluring is God knows and fully understands every language and nation.
And because He does, I want to too.

I don't remember where I heard it or in what context but there's a saying out there that goes something like this...

"The world is an open book and most of us have only ventured to read the first page."

----------
Thank you mom for yet another one of your classic lines. She is notorious for coming up with some of the funniest things. And usually not on purpose. So that's what makes it even better. My sisters and I have plotted and talked about how we could write a best-selling book based on mom's sayings. This one is a little less hilarious, but I definitely got a laugh tonight while reading her email.

She said that my soon to be 16 year old brother just got a hair cut and none of his friends like it.
In my mom's words:
"They are saying it is ELMO? What ever that means. I thought he looked great and handsome. I was glad to see him get such a clean looking hair cut. Oh well! It grows. I'm just glad to see it's out of his eyes so much."

Elmo is that red fuzzy creature who sings that obnoxious song "Elmos world". EMO is a term that I believe comes from the word "emote" which means to portray emotion in a theatrical manner. It's one of those terms from this past decade to categorize high school students -- a skater, a punk, a pothead. Now you can also be "emo."

Mom was close! Apparently, my lil' brother's new cut is kickin' it "emo style."

5 comments:

akshaye said...

Haha.. you mum is funny!

Btw.. one of my room mates in the past was Turkish. You should try their food - its incredible.

Jeni said...

That quote about the book is great! Thanks for sharing.

I have to say that story about your mom is quite amusing. I wonder what exactly an "Elmo" haircut would look like...

TimmyMac said...

I too enjoyed the mom story . . . She sounds a lot like my own mom!

Of course, there will come a day my kids will probably say the same thing about me . . . :-)

Jen in Budapest said...

Akshaye - She's quite a funny woman. Do gyros count? They're on the street here everywhere. I like gyros if that counts....

Jeni - Maybe it's for red-heads only!!

Tpluckyt- She's a great mama and she definitely keeps the laughter coming --- often times at her own expense, but I guess that part of what parenting is all about right?? :D

No(dot dot)el said...

his haircut looks fine, not to worry. course gina will give you the real scoop if you ask.
mom sometimes i honestly believe plays a bit of jessica simpson just to make people laugh.
gotta love ellen. she is the greatest.
and...for your info emo i think comes from being emotional like borderline suicidal because that apparently is cool these days. it is not a good thing to be called emo not even by the emo's themselves so i am sure jeremy is loving mom calling him elmo. too funny indeed.