Monday, May 12, 2008

A perfect run.




Although getting to Margaret Island takes a bit longer, it's my absolute favorite place for running and swimming. It's also not bad for biking either. I had the time today to leisurely make my way over to the Danube. Today is a religious holiday and besides meeting with a girl later this afternoon, I really didn't plan anything.

It's actually sort of funny to me that Hungary celebrates Pentecost, which apparently became a religious holiday in Europe to mark the day that Christ's followers were filled with wisdom, strength and power by the Holy Spirit. The holiday has been abolished in many countries more recently, but here in Hungary it remains a day off for people. I'd love to see this memorialized day actually become reality with that kind of wisdom and strength coming to Hungary! God knows this nation -- all nations for that matter, need it.

Today was an incredibly beautiful day with the sun shining and not a cloud in the sky. Taking the tram to the middle of the Margaret Island bridge is always scenic. It's beautiful in every direction and today was no exception! I forgot my camera, so these are not from today but I wanted to post a few pictures because it's the love of my life.

Today was the first time I ran in a tank top and shorts and I was still really warm. I think it's going to be a warm summer here in Budapest if today is any indication! The running path at Margaret Island is awesome! It's padded the entire way around and is about 3.4 miles once around the Island. A lot of people were no doubt enjoying their day off and as I got off the tram on the Island, a flood of people got off with me-- arriving to picnic, swim, sunbathe, run, bike, whatever (even an old lady sunbathing topless). Yep, this is Europe folks. I'm not shocked by much anymore. She won't be cited for indecent exposure either.

My goal was to push a bit harder and run my best 3.4 miles possible. Most of the time I succeed, though I did have to stop and re-tie my shoe on the third mile. I tried to keep an even pace and put more thought into my feet. The first mile came in at 9:16, which was O.K. I picked up the pace a little bit more the second mile and came in at 8:89 (18:05). My third mile was slower and came in at 9:28 (27:33). The final .38 mile was finished in 4 minutes flat. Even though it's not on the chart this week, I'd like to get a few more runs in. I can't wait for the day when I can actually run the Island twice around without stopping, then three times and finally four times for a half marathon! I've got a long way to go but it can be done.

I have to say that today's run was beautiful. With the sun shimmering off the Danube river, people kayaking and canoing, the light scent of river water floating up from the heat and no clouds in the sky. As I started pounding my feet the first mile, my I-pod landed on U2's "Beautiful Day" and I thought, quite appropriate!

4 comments:

Meg said...

I'm a bit behind on my blog reading!
Looks like you had a great run! I love it when the music matches your mood.

shontell said...

AH JUST BEAUTIFUL!! My treadmill doesn't offer the same scenery. I am usually yelling at Samuel to stop putting things on the treadmill to watch me jump over then and to stop licking things. Someday he will be all grown up and I will miss this.

No(dot dot)el said...

Good job Jen, sounds like you are really kicking into the marathon mode.

akshaye said...

Super run.. you were FAST! Certainly was a beautful day - the island is picturesque.