Thursday, May 1, 2008

The Office Craze

REALLY QUICK WORKOUT UPDATE: Today a 25 minute run was scheduled on the training plan. Again I was focusing on speed and distance. I finished my first mile in 8:48; The rest of my time came to 2.6 miles. Not sure how I can track mile by mile on my Garmin but once I figure it out I'll be sure to post. Come race day, I think at this point I would be really satisfied on the 5 k if I finish each mile at around 9:30 to be safe and 9 to be really stellar. Am I aiming too high on my first tri? It is the last leg of the race and I may be toast by then. Who knows! Just curious how it's all going to work together.
-----------------------

I'm sort of a non-conformist especially when it comes to the craze of TV programs. "The Office" has swept the world and it seems there's a global epidemic of seismic proportions when it comes to "The Office" quotes, innuendos and the like. I've only watched a few episodes with Chris and his wife because they are such enthusiasts. I'll admit it was funny, in its own sort of way. It takes me awhile to warm up to things like that. It's probably more the fact that I don't have time to sit around and watch a lot of TV, so when I do, I want to make it count! (OK, press pause on this thought for just one moment, please.)
------------------
Last night Matt, Bruce, Chris and I went to the Ujpest high school graduation to congratulate and support many of the students I taught almost two years ago now.

We have our best high school English club here. I really love the students at this school. They're bright, open and just really fun to be around. I was able to get a few pictures before the chaos began. They looked so sharp!! I was so proud of all of them :D


Anyways, we started in the courtyard for their ceremony and atleast the students had a chance to let go of their balloons as a symbol of their lives being wide open now as they enter the world.























But about an hour into the ceremony it started to rain and over 500 people were forced through a very tiny door to get out of the building. Talk about a fire hazard. If there would have been a fire, people would have died for sure! Here's a few snaps of Matt, Bruce and I surviving the crowds. And then Chris being crazy! What a moment. We all got drenched and when that happens, my hair goes crazy too.


Anyways, because we ended unexpectedly early, we met up with Addison and Joci who were just finishing the University English club. We decided to go out to eat and that's where it all began.

Office jokes. Office quotes. And then the question. "Which Office character are you?" They started guessing and laughing and I don't even know enough about the characters to really get in on the conversation. So I just listened. I love to study people and studying my co-workers is the best! We have a unique and fun group of people here in Budapest. For that entertainment I'm thankful.

Well, the results are in and according to a test I took, I am Jim on the office. Here's his description which I find humorous.
"You're the office prankster. Smart, kind, and funny, everyone loves you, even the psychotic woodsman seated to your left, (though he would never tell you as much). Also, it may take you until Season 3, but you will always get the object of your affection."
In my opinion, I think the majority of people probably relate to Jim and if they were to take the test, would probably be his character too. He just seems normal. Work dynamics are always interesting and maybe that's the point of the Office. I have to say that honestly we have a great team here in Budapest.

I'm often reminded of that verse in the Bible that talks about how just as iron sharpens iron, so does a friend sharpen another friend. When it comes to being with and around people in any kind of relationship, let alone working with people, it is a humbling thing. There's constantly the tension of laying down your own agenda to be open to others versus making your point known and being "heard." There's always going to be that sharpening if you look for it but it can be a positive thing. It should be actually. If you fight it, then you have problems.

Maybe this summer I'll finally borrow the Office from Chris and stop being a non-conformist here.

6 comments:

Meg said...

I don't have my garmin with me, but somewhere in settings you can tell it to track laps, and you can designate a lap as a mile. Then when you plug it in to your computer it will list every mile's pace.
Taking a "which Office character are you" quiz sounded like a good way to procrastinate work, I ended up being Pam, which probably isn't too far off! I'm just happy I didn't get Michael or Dwight!

No(dot dot)el said...

you so funny jen!!! love the just pause right there moment in this blog. glad you came out of the rain out ceremony alive. your pics were great.

akshaye said...

Jen.. the Garmin automatically tracks your splits for each mile. Its one of the menu options.. mines at home but drop me a line if you cant find it and I'll let you know how.

An early graduation.. I guess they dont have long commencement speeches in Hungary :)

I've watched the Office a few times, but I dont catch too much tv. Except for a couple of shows - have you watched Anthony Bourdain and Bear Grylls? Good stuff!

Jen in Budapest said...

Meg - how funny! I haven't watched the show much but Pam seems pretty real too. :D Sometimes those tests are just crazy but this time it was fun. As Tv characters - Michael and Dwight are over the top!

Noel - ha ha! You like those pics? Whatcha doin? Miss you.

Akshaye- Thanks. I'll have to figure that out before my next run. I haven't heard of Bear Grylls. I don't really watch TV at all but Anthony has a blog and I think he went to Romania (which is a neighboring country to Hungary) and it went bad real quick. But I don't know who Bear is...I'll check it out.

Jen in Budapest said...

Akshaye - I'm impressed! I haven't seen any of his Man v. Wild programs but just reading about Bear Grylls life, I'm impressed. He helped launch the Alpha course worldwide -- I'm a big fan.

Wish I had more time and could actually get TV programs like this one...This adventure show would definitely be tops on my list.

akshaye said...

Jen.. Bear is splendid! Discovery has him on every Friday night - which is the only reason I can usually catch it. I am sure you can find clips on you tube.

Btw.. the exam and the concert were both great! More soon.