Sunday, March 9, 2008

Feet fail me not!


The team from Florida arrived an hour later than expected yesterday and I heard about it in time, so I actually squeezed in a run Saturday morning! I say squeeze, but I'm celebrating endurance wise, I ran an hour and 5 minutes! That's monumental for me! I wanted to mix it up and run through the city of Budapest to the Danube River. It was a little hard on my feet because it wasn't padded but Hero's Square just hasn't been doing it for me since the biff and recover. I could hardly believe it but as I was listening to Eminem's "Lose Yourself" ...."feet fail me not...."I just kept pushing through another 10 minutes past the 45 minute mark, past the 55 minute mark and onto 1:05. I can't wait until my sister comes in a little over a WEEK so I will have the Garmin for tracking distances and times! Of course I'm much more excited to see her but the Garmin device is gonna be great too.
---------------

So, we had to keep the team active all day. The worst thing to do is sleep in the middle of the day...it gets you all off schedule. So, we gave them time to freshen up and then went to lunch at a Turkish restaurant. I really like the team from Florida. They know a lot of the people I know in Tally so it was fun.


Most of them are in their last year of university at FSU or FAMU and I LOVE the diversity on the team! Unfortunately, Hungary doesn't always get a lot of flavor around these parts. It actually bothers me. Their racial views on Jews, Gypsies and Blacks is disturbing. Not everyone holds them of course, but racism is a real part of a lot of Europe. I get so frustrated by people's ignorance that way.


Even though I grew up in Nevada where diversity isn't exactly the first word that comes to mind in describing the region, especially compared to the experience in Los Angeles, I've always felt drawn to those from other nations, cultures, etc. I remember once going to this Christian conference in Toronto Canada where people were excited to go because they were expecting some things to happen in their Christian experience with God. My experience happened in a different way because I was absolutely stirred when nation after nation came forward and started singing worship songs to God in their language, with their style and dialect. I thought WOW. This is what I'm a part of as a believer -- every nation, tribe and tongue around the world singing praises to the one true living God. And so it is with the cultures. This IS what I am a part of because God is not American, Hungarian or African. God loves it! He created the colors and the flavors and I love it too. I just wish people would get the memo on that one! One of the girls on the team from Florida is Korean. A few of the girls are African-American and FUN-NY as all get out!! I'm LOVING it. I didn't realize how deprived I was until they came into my life yesterday....Like India Arie sings, "You know I love your....brown skin."

Today we have our first Sunday meeting at Alexandria bookstore at 11 am. Excited about that. Afterwards, we will continue to take them site seeing in Budapest. I think the Castle District and Gellert Hill are part of the adventures. Yesterday we saw Hero's Square, St. Stephen's Basillica, the famous Turkish baths, and they were wiped out. Today we will go to the Buda side and see some things. Then we have a team meeting tonight, getting them prepared for the busy week ahead.

So, I'm going for a 30 minute bike ride now and maybe I can squeeze in a run later tonight. Not sure when pool time is going to happen....that is going to be quite the challenge the next few weeks. Oh well. Lots of walking with the team, that's for sure.

6 comments:

akshaye said...

An hour and five.. awesome! I am glad the 10 minute thing worked for you. Honestly, half the game is in your mind! You're going to love the Garmin.

The team sounds like a lot of fun. You're right about the diversity - to me, thats one of the best things about America.

I am sure the walking counts as extra miles. Have fun with the team!

Anonymous said...

Very cool about your LONG run! How exciting! I've trained for long runs a couple of different ways. One was to add 5 minutes to my long run each week. (Only 1 long run per week!) The other one was to add a mile per week. Either way, every few weeks or so, stay at the same time/mileage as the previous week for your long run to help your body get used to it. How much you increase also depends on how much time you have to train. The slower you add mileage or time, the better - less chance for injury! A max of 10% increase per week is what the "experts" say.

It sounds like you are getting all kinds of culture right now - very fun! Enjoy the new things you learn.

Kellye Mills said...

You're doing AWESOME!! Keep up the great work!

No(dot dot)el said...

also sister will be bringing you some new walking shoes :)

Kewl Nitrox said...

Good to hear about the long run. Well done.

You're right, it's easy to forget sometimes that Christians come in all shapes, sizes and colours. Praise God that He treasures each and every one of us.

I also tend to agree with you that there seems a lower level of racisism in USA aqnd Canada, compared to other parts of the "Western" world - like Europe and even parts of Australia.

Jen's World said...

thank you sister! woo hoo!!
I still haven't booked our hostel....ahhhh...no time. gotta do it though...