Thursday, March 6, 2008

Hertri.com

I really love this blogging community who post daily blurbs about their training experiences and become a source of inspiration to others who are debating whether to step outside and engage....It's especially encouraging these days when staying healthy can be really difficult to do.

Anyways, through Bree I found Sara McLarty's site which led me to Hertri.com. Sara is the featured athlete for the site this month. Sara completed her first tri when she was 7 years old! That's cool. Now, she's a spokeswoman for Ironkids Triathlon Nationals and wants to help encourage kids in a healthy lifestyle. Her favorite tri is the sprint tri, which was encouraging to hear, since it's my first event this summer. She's hoping to qualify for the Olympics in Beijing and I'm rooting for her!

I get inspired to get out there and kick some bootie when it comes to personal training as I read about other people doing it in the middle of life. So, thanks to all of you who daily make the decision to get out there again. Today I was a slacker but as I sat here reading everyone's blogs, I find myself with new perspective and energy to get out there tomorrow and make it a good training day!

Here's what Sara wanted to tell newbies getting involved in the sport."Welcome to the Triathlon Family. It's a fantastic life-style that you can start at any age and maintain for the rest of your life. I am most encouraged, and most admire, the women out there at the races that are mothers,grandmothers, aunts, etc. They remind me that I am in this 'sport' for my
health, happiness, family and friends. I like to be reminded that my time right
now as a professional triathlete is just a means to getting by...all while
enjoying what this sport has to offer........I want to tell everyone, women
especially, that this is something you can enjoy for the rest of your life, so
welcome aboard!
"

I was real encouraged by this. I know I haven't even completed my first sprint, but I'm already hooked. I hope it's something I choose to enjoy for the rest of my life just like so many of these women as wives, moms and grandmas..... Look at the amazing people involved! I love it.

3 comments:

akshaye said...

Thanks for sharing Sara's story. I hadn't heard it. The whole tri/running community is so incredibly supportive and inspiring!

ShirleyPerly said...

Hi Jen! Thanks for your comment on my blog. Believe it or not, I've met Sara before! Well, not really met, but we were both in a 10-mile race together a couple years back and she was the person handing out awards later (of course, she flew past me early in the race). Don't believe me? Check out my other website www.21runsalute.org, 5th photo from the bottom. I didn't know who she was at the time because I wasn't into tris then but now I do.

Jen in Budapest said...

That's cool shirley.....in the company of stars...we are only 6 degrees of separation from anyone in the world....maybe even less....;D

Jen