Saturday, March 15, 2008

Rialto Bridge in Venice



So I was finally able to book a hostel for our first night in Venice. We are staying a few minutes walk from this famous bridge called Rialto, the true heart of Venice, which was built 400 years ago between 1588 and 1591.

Apparently, the architect, Antonio da Ponte competed against Michelangelo and Palladio for the contract. The bridge replaced some older structures. I hadn't thought of it before, but I think I will try and find a travel guide book (if I can find it in English) at a bookstore here in Budapest before I leave on Wednesday! I don't even know where to begin with what to see in this ancient city but I'm sure us girls will find a lot of fun things to do and see in this city of water!

5 comments:

Kellye Mills said...

That's really beautiful!! And I'm so sorry that you got hurt! Take care and have fun.

akshaye said...

Ooh.. cool! You'll have a blast. And I am glad the three posts in a day Jen is back :)

Jen in Budapest said...

I can't wait to see it for real. I can't believe I'm actually going to see Venice! :D It's not a reality yet. Probably won't be until I'm walking across that bridge!!

Matty C. said...

Jen, I'm kinda jealous you get to see all this cool stuff. Anyway, I have a question. Are hostels clean? I only ask because I have a friend who has a friend who stayed in one and they ended up getting some sort of mite on their body. Well, anyway, my buddy ended up getting them as well (long story) and they turned up in places that he didn't want them in.

Not trying to scare you. I'm just curious because this was a pretty scary thing for my buddy. I don't want to stay somewhere with that stuff.

Have fun.

Jen in Budapest said...

Yeah, the good life in Europe...Actually, it's gonna be really great to get out of Budapest for a few days....:D

I've stayed in a few hostels - one in Krakow, Poland and the other in the Czech Republic. Both worked out great. No problems and definitely no mite on the body!! That would really suck. I'm not too worried about it...but what are mite anyways? Seriously. I have no idea what mite are...it sounds funny. Yeah, I could see how that could happen...Hopefully not though...:D