Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Salsa

Yesterday I swam 25 minutes and it was one of the best swims I've had in a long time. Even though it was short, I really felt myself gliding in the water and it felt great. That doesn't happen often, so I was thankful for it. I'm still nursing a little pain in my right shoulder which doesn't bother me when I swim but I feel it when I'm carrying groceries or doing other things.
------
This morning I ran for about 33 minutes around Hero's Square before I embarrassingly biffed it, scraping up the knees and hands. Apparently I didn't see the mini-boulder on the dirt path. But, I picked myself up and kept running another 5 minutes home. I think I'm good at biff and recover as I did the same thing last spring on a mountain bike.

Well, I think it's time to mix it up as I'm getting bored with the park -- and now hurt too. The only problem is I've become lazy now that the park is right there and going to Margaret Island seems like a chore -- even though it's only a 15 minute public transportation ride. We will see.
------
Last night Csaba, Aniko and I had a good time. I think they enjoyed themselves and they invited me over to their place in the future. We are going to celebrate Aniko's birthday the end of the month too. One thing I find interesting is it seems that Hungarians are really hungry for friendships. Most of them say they just don't have lots of other friends to go and hang out with. So yeah, that's easy. I can meet that need. I LOVE hanging out.....and of course, I'm always trusting that God will open up great conversations about Himself, as I absolutely love to see His son Jesus get all the attention.

Last night we had lots of great conversations --- everything from their experience in Greece and the island of Crete to their jobs at MOL to their dog "strawberry" to Csaba's beliefs as an atheist.....We were talking about Hungarian words and English words that are spelled the same and sound the same but have different meanings. For example, pet. I can pet the dog but the dog is also my pet. And now, with the word salsa -- I just found another one. Chips and salsa or salsa dancing.
-------
Tonight I start Salsa dancing lessons after English Club and Bible Study. There's a group of Hungarian and Americans taking lessons that will last through May. I'm just not that coordinated, so I'm a lil' nervous. I will be taking the class with some of the girls I've been building relationships with so I'm excited about that. But yes. Dance coordination has never been a strength. I'm much more like the guy on Hitch who made up moves like the "Q-tip" and stuff....So, we will see what happens and if Salsa dancing is for me!
------
I'm also a bit nervous because later today at the High school group we will introduce 6-7 teachers (maybe more) to the English Club. They want to observe and get ideas for their class. Hopefully, that goes well. I'm finishing baking these triple decker chocolate cupcakes (the batter is oh so yum!) and banana bread for the ordeal.

6 comments:

Matty C. said...

Don't worry about the biff and recover thing. I think it's pretty normal.

I'd be the one doing the biff and recover if I was to go to dance class. Have fun.

akshaye said...

banana bread.. now I want some for breakfast!

I hope the scraping isn't too bad. Stuff like that happens so being a good recover helps :)

Salsa dancing - I'd probably end up hurting myself or my partner! So I'll stick to the Q-tip dance :)

Kellye Mills said...

Salsa lessons... how cool!! MUST take pictures!!

No(dot dot)el said...

bummer about the biff jen- i remember last springs biff it was a doozy. even though i didn't see it you described it so well i could imagine. you make me laugh. sorry it's not funny i know but your description about the bolder, hee hee!!

Ellie Hamilton said...

Well, Jen... you've just inspired me to:

Go out for a short run (first since the Austin Marathon 18 days ago)

Plan a swim program for when we get back to a place I can swim (end of April)

"Become a long-distance runner in every area of my life and finish well"

How do you discuss your atheist friend's beliefs? I have one, too.

Jen in Budapest said...

Matty, Thanks for the encouragement...yeah. I wasn't sure how salsa would go, but it actually was a lot of fun.

Akshaye - my mom used to make it all the time for us as kids....I love the smell and taste of hot fresh banana bread with lots of butter melted on top.

Well Bell - I'm glad you're getting some chuckles at my expense. I actually laughed it off too. It wasn't as traumatic as the bike biff last spring and fortunately this time I could play it off pretty good...funny!

Ellie - Woo hoo!! Glad to hear you're getting inspiration. Send some back my way. I need it absolutely every day....