Monday, March 3, 2008

random thoughts

This morning I didn't have a lot of time and when I started running, I was wiped out after 25 minutes. Tonight I went for a 30 minute bike ride. Today was just tough as far as personal endurance. I still have a goal to work on my running and biking distances but it's a bit tough without knowing how I'm doing. It will be nice to be able to track what I'm doing later this month when my sister brings a watch I bought from the states! Excited about that! Yippee!

Tomorrow morning is an early morning swim. I can't wait for the team from Florida to arrive this Saturday. We will have a lot of fun doing extra programs on the high school and university campuses. Also, I'm completely jazzed to try on the tri-suit and use the flippers and hand paddles for training! The next few months are going to be good for training.
--------

I'm also excited to have Csaba and Aniko for dinner tomorrow night. These two are hilarious! I LOVE being around them. They both work for the Hungarian company, MOL. He is this tough looking, body builder type Hungarian (but sweet as a teddy bear) and she is this spunky, spit-fire, trendy Hungarian late 20 something....They are just CUTE!! I met them through "Let's Talk" at Lake Balaton last Fall. They've come to English Conversation Club and to our Christmas Party and they know we are Christians. They want to hang out and like to hang out. So, I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens with this couple in the future. Thanks for keeping them in your prayers.

-------

RAIN CHECK: Saturday's Szentendre ride never happened. Nona and I set out to make the trek and to make a long story short, we were literally attacked by rain, wind, hail and ice pellets that were bigger than hail. Both of us were absolutely shocked. We actually waited for some light rain to pass on Saturday morning as we sipped coffee and drank freshly juiced OJ. Then, when it was sunny we decided to go. Nona's husband Gejka said, "Are you sure you want to go? I heard there are strong winds and lots of rain in the forecast." We got about 5 or 10 minutes into the ride and came home with our tail between our legs, sopping wet. Needless to say, we are going to schedule a rain check in April when I will finally have a free Saturday and the weather will be nice! We ended up coming back to Nona's flat and made soup. Still can't wait to do that ride!

--------

Tonight as I was making some stuff in the kitchen I wanted to hear something other than music and I rarely watch/listen to t.v. now that I'm in the new flat because I don't get BBC news. I've only got Hungarian channels, which is fine when I'm in the mood to learn Hungarian (which honestly has not been often). In the past, I've listened to some podcasts through I-tunes called "Every Man's Battle," a podcast for men. Not only does it give me insight into the battles men face, but I als get inspired. They are 2-5 minute podcasts, and I just like them. I don't know, I love this kind of stuff...things about men and women and relationships. One day I'll get to put it all into practice, for now, I'm learning a lot and it's interesting! I also like listening to podcasts of Ravi Zacharias, this amazing Indian man who was educated in England and whose written a book called "Can Man Live Without God?" He's awesome! He speaks at several university campuses and is an author and apologetic. I got to hear him speak in Los Angeles when I was living there and I love the man. He's brilliant.

4 comments:

akshaye said...

I was looking forward to hearing about your bike ride to Szentendre. Its too bad it got rained out!

So did you get a Garmin to track distance? Its fantastic to have some way to measure progress. It was just over an year back that I made the transition from 7-8 mile runs to my first half. Just keep at it and when you want to stop on a long run, give yourself 10 minutes more before you do so. You'll be amazed how many times that gets you through the wall!

I've heard of Ravi Zacharias too. Growing up in India was amazing because I was exposed to three major religions at home/school. Kind of like the book Life of Pi! I've never really talked about my beliefs much, but I find that they draw from so many sources and strangely that's not at all contradictory to me. I enjoy reading what you write because it makes me think a lot more about this.

Ok.. I better stop or this comment is going to be longer than one of my posts :)

Jen in Budapest said...

Yes, well hopefully in April I'll have a Szentendre story. I did get a Garmin refurbished So excited about it. Wow, Akshaye...cool. Thanks for sharing about your life. I would think that would be very interesting to grow up with all three influences. Yes, Ravi is an all time favorite. Have you heard any of his podcasts? He really makes me think and He makes sense to me. He's funny and not afraid of people who believe differently. I'm also intrigued by his life and growing up in India. Apparently, he still goes back with his wife once a year to visit the family now living in the home where he grew up. I find that awesome. Glad to know you've heard of him....I'd encourage you to listen to his stuff! It's great.

akshaye said...

I'll check out his podcasts. They sound like they'll be great!

All of my family is in India, so I try and go back once a year or so. I just love going back.. its a magical place. I had done a short post from last trip there in April '07. Here's a link:

http://anothermile.blogspot.com/2007/04/homecoming.html

Have a great week!

Jen in Budapest said...

Akshaye it's quite interesting that you were born in Calcutta....and cool that you entered a race while you were there too. One of my other favorite people in the world is Mother Theresa. Your birthland does sound magical. It's tough being away from family too. Skype is the best! How did you end up in the states? I'm curious to hear how the adjustment has been. I think when I go back to the states I will seek out those who are from other countries and figure out ways to really be a part of their experience because I know what it's like to be in another country and having to figure things out.