Friday, April 18, 2008

Another day in Budapest

Today in Budapest we are experiencing another 24 hour public transportation strike. School principals had discretion whether to cancel school for the day. Students from the school in Ujpest travel over an hour on public so it's canceled. Well, today, unless I want to pay for a cab, I'll be walking or biking everywhere. I hope the unions and workers get a better end of the deal through this strike. Proposed service cuts and lay-offs would be tough on thousands of workers. Unfortunately, resolution doesn't sound like it will happen anytime soon.
---------


Yesterday I got in the pool for 30 minutes and swam with only 10 second breathers here and there. It was the first time in almost two months. If this were not exciting enough, the location for the swim was incredibly interesting! Széchenyi Gyógyfürdő is the largest medicinal thermal bath house in Europe and includes a 50 meter heated pool. The place is a hot spot for tourists but it's only 5 minutes walking distance from my flat.



I finally got over my fear of going to a thermal bath house and decided to swim here so that afterwards, I could enjoy the thermal baths. I had a free day, so why not? What an experience! In Nevada, my parents have a membership to Wally's Hot Springs. When I'm home I get to enjoy those hot spring waters and it's a beautiful location. I have NO problem jumping into hot spring waters in that setting. But here in Budapest, for the past 1.5 years I've had this idea about thermal bath houses with old, strange men sitting around in European speedos that was completely repulsive to me and I just couldn't get over it until yesterday. Friends have tried to get me to go and I've held my ground. But something broke and I was ready for this adventure. I was absolutely, pleasantly surprised! When my brother's girlfriend comes next month, I will definitely get her to enjoy it. It was amazing. It felt GREAT to get in the water. I forgot to count laps but it was a 50 meter pool and I know I did atleast 15 laps or about 750 meters without stopping, though I was aware of my shoulder the entire time.

I don't know that I will be going there regularly. It's quite expensive and not a place conducive to swim training but nonetheless, as I was swimming laps, I thought "God, thank you for this time in my life!"

How amazing to live five minutes from the largest thermal bath house in Europe and I'm just now discovering it! Can you imagine that they also have a medical hospital which uses the medicinal property of the waters located on site too. If you ever travel to Budapest, it's a must see/must do experience.

Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

akshaye said...

Wow.. the pictures are great. Its funny - looks very different from what you imagined it :)

Great swim - you're stamina is definitely getting up there!