Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Bloody Gimcrack huh?

Language is an interesting thing. I learned today at lunch that bloody is a cuss word for Brits. I didn't know that! I thought it was just slang. I love saying "bloody". I usually like to say "It's bloody hot" or "bloody well then!" just for affect. I don't know if I can give it up and I don't feel as though I'm cussing for one minute. I could say it 100 x and it still means absolutely nothing to me. Yep. Language is an interesting thing.

I remember an experience I had in Capetown in 2005. I was there for almost a month to help start a training school for Every Nation and in that time, one of the main coordinators became ill and had to go to the hospital for a minor operation.
Her husband called and said in his South African accent,

"Hi Jen....Tim here...Kirstie's gone to theater so she won't be joining you today."

I thought to myself, "Kirstie's going to the movies at a time like this?"

But actually in South Africa, theater means "operating room" in a hospital.

Language is a mysterious and intriguing thing and I'm constantly reminded of that fact while living in another country.
---------------------
Tonight I went with my friend Annet to see the U23D movie. One of the songs they do is "Bloody Sunday" which now brings on a whole new meaning now that I know it probably means both the cuss word and the blood spilled in war. There was also a song about using our words but I'm not as familiar with that song. It was really creative for the 3D part, with letters falling. Besides the fact that I felt I was right there in Argentina for this U2 concert with the best seat in the house, I just love Bono and how he chooses to use his influence in the world. For me, that song "One" is about the reality that we live in a global world and we need to find ways to get past our prejudices and work together. Yes, we are different but we're still the same.

I was originally inspired when U2 came out with the ONE campaign. I signed the declaration and spread the word. The only problem I have with Bono's method is that you can't just raise money and give it away because in some places in Africa, the leadership is corrupt and the people never get the resources that were intended for them. So, I believe that it goes deeper and people must be taught and trained. Specifically as a Christ follower I believe the best way is teaching and training people to follow in His footsteps and build a life of character. This takes time -- maybe even lifetimes in places like Africa.

Either way, I have signed the declaration and I'm committed.

In case you've never read it, here's U2's ONE campaign declaration:
"WE BELIEVE that in the best American tradition of helping others help themselves, now is the time to join with other countries in a historic pact for compassion and justice to help the poorest people of the world overcome AIDS and extreme poverty.

WE RECOGNIZE that a pact including such measures as fair trade, debt relief, fighting corruption and directing additional resources for basic needs - education, health, clean water, food, and care for orphans - would transform the futures and hopes of an entire generation in the poorest countries, at a cost equal to just one percent more of the US budget.

WE COMMIT ourselves - one person, one voice, one vote at a time - to make a better, safer world for all."


The only thing I would add to the list is recognizing human trafficking and making a pact to direct resources that way too. But no one's asking me and I doubt the declaration will be re-written on my behalf.
---------------------------------

Oh, back to the topic of language, Facebook word of the day. It's a showy and useless word in my opinion. And honestly, it just sounds really bad. Please take note of how it's pronounced. Can you imagine using this word in a sentence? Ummm. No.
Exactly where do these words come from? And who uses them?

Actually, maybe I'll use it someday and surprise you all after I get my gym membership back. :D

gimcrack \JIM-krak\, noun:
1. A showy but useless or worthless object; a gewgaw.
adjective:
1. Tastelessly showy; cheap; gaudy.
Yet the set is more than a collection of pretty gimcracks.
-- Frank Rich, Hot Seat
In those cities most self-conscious about their claim to be part of English history, like Oxford or Bath, the shops where you could have bought a dozen nails, home-made cakes or had a suit run up, have shut down and been replaced with places selling teddy bears, T-shirts and gimcrack souvenirs.
-- Jeremy Paxman, The English: A Portrait of a People

2 comments:

akshaye said...

how funny.. i left you a comment on that word a little while back :)

You saw U2 in Argentina? I am so jealous! They are one of my fav bands of all time. The music and the social work they do. Great running music too! One of the best, yet completely random running memories I have is of this run where I was just about an hour into it, when I was approaching a lake, the sun was shining and "Where the streets have no name" came on in my playlist. It was as perfect a moment as they get.

Jen in Budapest said...

Akshaye - sorry if that was confusing. No, I wish! I saw the U23D concert that was filmed in Argentina.the 3D makes you feel as though you have front row seats. Really cool. It's true. They are a great band. Especially if you consider that most bands come out with one or two really good CD's and then it's over. They consistently hit it right on. And I love how they use their influence. I just have a few things I'd do differently, but no one's asking me :D. Anyways your running memory sounds great. That's one of my favorite U2 songs. Thanks for the reminder. I think I'll add it to my running playlist. :D