Monday, April 28, 2008

Budapest this Fall

"Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired."
- George S. Patton, U.S. Army General, 1912 Olympian

I didn't realize that General Patton was an Olympian until reading this quote and looking up some information on his life. How interesting! I'm always amazed at how complex and diverse we are as people. I guess it's just refreshing to read this from a man well known for his involvement with WWII but less known for his athletic prowess.

I'm beginning to look ahead as I train for the sprint tri in July. For me, 2008 is a race year and it's kind of exciting. After July, I've decided on two running races in Budapest. Even though running is my least favorite of the three events in tri, it's growing on me. I've never liked running. I just like the way I feel (healthy) after I do it.

So, the first is the Nike Budapest International half-marathon on September 7th. Next, the Budapest International Marathon on October 5th and within it is a "mini-marathon" - which is completely doable! Looking at the maps, both races start at Heroe's Square, right in my backyard. And both races end with a free ticket to the Szechenyi Baths! Now that I'm over my fear of the baths and have come to appreciate the fact that they aren't filled with old European men in speedos, that is FABULOUS news!

As I reviewed some websites on training for a half, I realized that I can actually start to add in longer runs once a week and keep myself consistently running the smaller distances suggested in training for a Sprint Tri. On one of the training sites, the question was posed --

Why do I want to complete a half marathon?

Basically it was suggested that you need to "dig down deep" and come up with an answer that will get you through when it's tough. Honestly, I'm not that deep. I don't know why really. I don't really "like" running. Free tickets to the baths? I guess when I think about it thoughtfully, I want to celebrate the healthy lifestyle and challenge myself physically. I have feet that can run and a healthy body. Not everyone does. Maybe that's my "down deep." And I guess I also want to be able to tell my kids someday that I ran a few International races in Budapest. It sure is a beautiful city!

http://www.budapestmarathon.com/eng/half/news.html

http://www.budapestmarathon.com/eng/marathon/news.html

Who would like to take vacation in September or October and join me?

13 comments:

akshaye said...

I had no idea Gnrl. Patton was an Olympian. You learn something new everyday!
Those two races sound great - so how long is the "mini"?
If you add in a few 10-12 mile runs, you'll be more than ready for the half! And a bath ticket is reason enough for me, after all it is better than just a t-shirt!

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

Hi, Jen! I personally love the half-marathon distance. It's long enough to be a challenge and to merit a hearty meal afterwards, but not so long that you'll be limping around for a week afterwards, like a marathon. And best of all, if you try the half-marathon and don't like it, you don't have to do any more. Ever. So why not have a go at it?

There's no particular distance that makes you a "real" runner, cyclist, triathlete or whatever. Just by putting on your shoes and heading out the door, you're real.

I posted the link to the spinach bread recipe on my blog and included instructions for if you don't have a bread machine. If you have any questions, drop me a line at uhamp "at" yahoo "dot" com.

momofmhasr said...

Just wanted to leave you a comment about Mrs. C, She is on a bloggy break of sorts, just has the comment button off for a while while she concentrats on her family. She will turn it back on later. So pop in on her again. :)

Jen in Budapest said...

Akshaye - the mini is like eating a light breakfast for some people I know!..It's a 7.5 k. Thanks for the encouragement. Yep, that bath ticket is a HUGE plus!

Bunnygirl - thanks for your encouragement in this thing. And for the link to your spinach bread recipe :D Can't wait to try it. Yum.

Momofmhasr - Thanks! I'll try her again in the future :D

Matty C. said...

First things first Jen - What's wrong with speedos? I mean, come on, old European men need to feel manly too.

Secondly, my "dig deep" answer is the same as yours. I like the way I feel about myself after I run. Health wise, sure, but it also does something internally for me, my confidence, if that means anything. To me, it makes me feel proud of myself and that's what I need. Kinda weird but that's me.

Keep going. It sounds like you're doing good. Remember to have fun while doing it and ice a lot. That's how I get by.

Matty C. said...

By the way, I forgot to mention, I dig the Bryan Adams music on your blog. I'm a fan.

Tori Leslie said...

How cool is this??? I was checking out Amy's blog this morning before we drive to Budapest to pick up some friends and I was surprised to see your comment there.
We live 3 hours south of Budapest in lovely Croatia. We have friends in the 12th district and we are pretty familiar with the town. Love Budapest!!!
Anyhow, just wanted you to know that I'll be in the same town as you today. Cool huh??

Oh BTW, where do you go to church there?

Meg said...

I think those are great reasons! To challenge yourself and to appreciate your health are probably two of the best reasons I can think of!

Jen in Budapest said...

Matty -
I can't believe you're even posing this question right now. You've got to be kidding me! Don't tell me you own one. :D Oh Matty, dear Matty. There has GOT to be another way these men can feel manly, don't you think? Honestly though, I haven't seen a guy - any guy - in shorts since I was in the US. They all love their speedos here.

I'll keep the icing in mind, thanks.

Tori - It's a small, small world. Let me know when you're in Budapest again. Maybe we can meet.

Meg - you are stellar with your 8.5 miles! Gettin' 'em done. Someday that will be me. I should find you on facebook :D Have a great week.

Jen

Jen in Budapest said...

Matty - :D one other thing about speedos. If you own one, be sure you leave it behind for the Malibu tri. Sharks are in those waters, you know, and I hear they like speedos! :D

Anonymous said...

Well Jen, I think I'm the only non-athlete that has commented . . . however, I think I'll be in Budapest for the Oct race! I make a great cheerleader! Also, it sounds like your training is going very well so keep up the good work! :)

Jen in Budapest said...

Jody, that's right! The Texas team will be here! I CANT wait to have you guys here! :D Thanks for the encouragement. I bet you were a cheerleader huh? You're wonderful Jody. Love you. and thanks!

Matty C. said...

Jen, "H" no I don't own one of those things. I stick to thongs. Just kidding! I just wanted to give you a hard time. I can't imagine any man in their right mind wanting to walk out in those things. It's a bit too revealing for me. Oh, and gay!