Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Chimera what?

When we were in Frankfurt, I met Aris, a Greek brotha' from anotha' motha'. :D This guy was hilarious. He quotes almost the entire film "My Big Fat Greek Wedding." I thought of "da Greek" this morning.

Chimera what? Where do these words come from? Oh, it comes from da Greeek!!!I'm a native English speaker and I've never even heard of this word. I don't like this word. I think this word is stupid. Really. I stumbled upon it while checking facebook's application Dictionary.com and the....

------------------
Word of the Day for Monday, April 21, 2008

chimera \ky-MIR-uh\, noun:
1. (Capitalized) A fire-breathing she-monster represented as having a lion's head, a goat's body, and a serpent's tail.
2. Any imaginary monster made up of grotesquely incongruous parts.
3. An illusion or mental fabrication; a grotesque product of the imagination.
4. An individual, organ, or part consisting of tissues of diverse genetic constitution, produced as a result of organ transplant, grafting, or genetic engineering.

Asa Whitney, with no previous experience and having nothing but his faith and self-assurance to tell him he was not pursuing a chimera, began to outline how he would get a railroad across the vast, uninhabited middle of the American continent to the Pacific shores, where the lure of Asia beckoned, within reach.
-- David Haward Bain, Empire Express

She seems to spend most of the book sobbing, throwing up and generally marinating in a stew of self-absorption while searching fruitlessly for that chimera, her true self, inexpertly aided by astrologers and new-age therapists.
-- "Cutting through fantasies to crazy life", USA Today, December 2, 1999

These "chimeras" can be created because of our power--derived from the recombinant DNA technology developed in the early 1970s--to move DNA from one species to another.
-- Bryan Appleyard, Brave New Worlds

Chimera comes from Latin chimaera, from Greek chimaira "she-goat, chimera."

------------

I don't think I'll be using this word in my conversations anytime soon.

3 comments:

akshaye said...

Yep.. it has a weird ring to it. But I have to say - I had never heard of that word.

Facebook's just exploded with all these apps - I find most of them quite annoying!

No(dot dot)el said...

love the shout out to Aris. miss that guy. he needs to move back to america.
you are so funny. i have never heard of that word either and I have to say that I have lived this long without and i think i can continue on without it.

Jen in Budapest said...

See, no one has heard of this word. Weird word huh?