Monday, April 7, 2008

Today in Budapest


Trade unions representing Hungary's public transportation workers in Budapest are in negotiations with BKV (public transport) as BKV is looking to decrease services city-wide by 10% in the near future. This means less tram, bus and metro options for people and lay-offs for workers. Workers and unions have been planning a strike for April 7th for awhile now. We shall see how long it lasts. BKV employs about 5,000 and over 3,000 of these workers are drivers. Unfortunately, some of the buses break down. It's not often, but there have been complaints. Last fall there was a strike too, so this is not new in Budapest. Just inconvenient. I do hope the BKV and unions can work something out.

Personally, I think the public transportation system here in Budapest is fabulous. For $45 a month, all my transport needs are covered. It sure beats what I would be paying in the states for car insurance and gas every month. Maybe by the afternoon things will be up and running again, but for now I'm biking or walking.
-------------------

Yesterday afternoon I was so tired and so .....lazy! I didn't want to leave my flat, so I didn't. I guess I could have been out running or biking but I stayed inside, made homemade french fries from potato wedges and onions while reading through about half of the Bourne book. I got sucked into the drama for sure and didn't want to leave my comfy loft bed to venture outside into the cold weather.

Today is not looking any brighter as far as weather is concerned. I wanted to run this morning but it's been raining like crazy and doesn't look like it's going to stop anytime soon. But I'm thankful that today is the start of a new week. I will be running in Jeff and Ana's neighborhood. I'm not sure yet if I will have access to a bike. My arm is feeling really good so I hope to start swimming next week. Three months until show time. I hope the weather gets warmer here quick. I'm ready for sunshine around the clock.

2 comments:

Anne said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog, Jen. I have a good friend here that's one of the USA's best ultrarunners and he's from a town outside Budapest. He speaks very highly of it.

I imagine it's hard to train for a multisport race in weather like you described. I'd stay curled up in bed with action books too! The sun will come out soon and bring with it more tri-training-friendly weather. Hang in there.

akshaye said...

Ooh those wedges sound so good.. I should have eaten lunch :)

I hope the public transport strike gets sorted out.