Monday, April 14, 2008

the home stretch and kids baseball

It's the last early morning with the kids. Their parents get back tonight. I go to Lake Balaton Wednesday through Friday for "Let's Talk" English Camp. So that's a bit abnormal. I'll take my swimming gear and venture into the Lake before the programs start in the morning so I can try and get an open water swim in. There's no place like home, as much as I like to mix it up with the best of them. So it's going to be great to sleep in my own bed for a few days.

Yesterday, Jefferson had a baseball game after church. This was Nori's first exposure to baseball. So, I was explaining the game and we were laughing as I remember what it was like to watch some sport you'd never seen before and see people get excited about something you barely understand. I think my first exposure was a game of Cricket and I was like, "What's the big deal?"

Anyways, it was a ton of fun for me to watch him play. He's a good pitcher. Yesterday though he had a rough time through some of the game with pitching and walked a few kids. They lost the game, but he kept a fairly good attitude and he had fun. I know he was bummed that he didn't win, but I was impressed by his good attitude. So that's cool. I think that's what matters with kids sports. Of course you always want to win but when kid's whole demeanor changes and they get "pissy" or get an attitude, I just think that's not what sports are about for kids. Or is it? It should be enjoyable and help cultivate discipline. Of course you want to see them win too...but I will never be that nazi parent who goes over the edge about my child's performance. I'm not going to try to fulfill childhood dreams through my kids. My random thoughts on kids sports.

This weekend Jefferson wanted me to see this comedian who rips on kids baseball. So, we watched a few You Tube videos this weekend. The guy is funny, I think. He's also got one on the spelling bee. I posted that one too.

Hope you enjoy Brian Reagan.

LITTLE LEAGUE



SPELLING BEE

2 comments:

akshaye said...

You dont get excited about cricket?! :) I love it! I remember my first baseball game when I went to see the Braves. Took me a few games to appreciate the sport!

Jen in Budapest said...

Nope, can't say that I do. But I still don't really understand it either.....:D But yeah, that's the funny thing about sports from this perspective of studying people - - that we get excited when we understand it and/or enjoy it. For the person who didn't grow up around it or has never seen it, it's like "whats the big deal?'