Monday, April 7, 2008

Running in the Rain


My sister, Noel gave me a brand new pair of Nike Free shoes that didn't fit her when she came to see me. Wow. Talk about being really thankful for misfits! I desperately needed new runners with little change to spare for purchasing some....so thanks sis. You would think with these new trekkies I'd want to hit the pavement all the time. But the weather has been so yucky that I've had no desire. Well, before packing to go to Jeff and Ana's tonight, I decided I WOULD get a run in even if the weather was bad. I WOULD run even if I didn't FEEL like running.

20 minutes into the run and I hit a wall. Not sure what happened but usually I drink fresh OJ or eat a bit of a banana to jump start the run and I didn't do that this time. Maybe that was it or maybe it was the potato wedges I ate last night. Man they were good and I sure ate a lot of them :D

Well, after walking for about 5 minutes in the rain, I started talking to myself like "What are you doing, Jen? Get out there and get some mileage." So, I picked my feet up and started running again. The wind and the rain actually stopped and the sun came out briefly then it started to drizzle. Now that I'm back inside, it's pouring out there. Well, I put in 45 minutes but I'm embarrassed to give the mileage. Let's just say I pushed through and stayed out there, running in the rain when I would have MUCH rather been inside drinking coffee and checking emails. So, for this, I'm proud of myself.

I'm going to finish packing up a weeks worth of life to stay with Jeff and Ana's kids. They live about 45 minutes outside of Budapest, which means in addition to their early early morning schedules, I have to factor in extra travel time to and from appointments and meetings this week. Although I'm not looking forward to extra time on the buses and trams, I am glad to report that public transport is up and running again as of this afternoon. I've canceled my workouts scheduled with some of the girls at Margaret Island and Hero's Square this week just because it's going to be too complicated. So working out this week will be in a new neighborhood outside of Budapest. Looking forward, as always, to mixing it up.

Never stop exploring! Hope you have a great week.

5 comments:

Kellye Mills said...

I think that's awesome that you pushed through it when you REALLY didn't want to! That's what it's all about! That's a big thing, so be proud of yourself!

akshaye said...

Part of training is about pushing yourself through the wall. You did great!

I use the Frees occasionally. Caution - use them only for short (3-6 miles) run. You need more cushion for anything longer.

No(dot dot)el said...

i would imagine that those shoes wouldn't be the greatest in the rain. they are kinda thin. i am so glad you are loving them, but from your friend's comment above sounds like they won't be the ones to get you through the tri in july. bummer.
here's my pat on the back, i have been walking everyday since getting back except one day AND with that stinking Planters Wart on my foot, which I am about ready to go see a doctor about. The duct tape is just not working fast enough.
one final note i gave your luggage to greg to give to tanya. should be all good to come back to you next month.

Donald said...

Sounds like your well on your way down this tri-adventure we share!

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Yours looks very cool. I hope it's OK, I skipped right to the Johnny Cash song on the sidebar. He's the Man.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by and for the comment left on the blog.

There is something about leaving the States that opens your eyes to some of the superficiality of the culture and at the same time to appreciate the blessings enjoyed. That experience has a way of changing a person in ways they many not anticipate. At least that's my experience.

I pray that your work is fruitful and and rewarding. We were in Tanzania for a short 17 days. I can appreciate what a blessing it must be to become well acquainted with the culture where you serve.

Any run regardless of the distance in conditions you describe is a victory.

Loved "Hozanna."