Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Swifter, Higher, Stronger


The Olympic motto is "Swifter, Higher, Stronger" and was borrowed from a French priest who used sports as an educational tool with his students. I love the Olympics and what it stands for -- doing and being your best. This year there is a lot of buzz about no-doping policies and the increase in monitoring that. There's also a lot of buzz over the location, which I wanted to talk about below.

First, let me say that with the Olympic games just a little over 100 days away, I'm getting excited. Last month the torch was lit in Greece and before the Olympic opening ceremony, the torch will pass through five continents and stop in 23 cities around the world. On August 8th, the torch will finally be seen in Beijing. This is better than Amazing Race!

I get so inspired by the Olympics. Yet this year there is a lot of controversy around the location. I'm not exactly sure how I feel about the host country being China. On the one hand, I think it can be a positive historical event in the life of this nation. On the other hand, I personally know people who have or currently are being persecuted in China for their faith. Human rights issues are real there and it doesn't seem like it's going to change anytime soon in light of events taking place in Tibet the last few weeks. So why should the world help support an economy that is actively violating human rights? Or will it actually change things in this nation to perhaps see a better way when people from all over the world come and bring their cultures with them?

In the 1972 Olympics, there was an event that took place, if I remember correctly from a movie I watched, where all of the Israeli Olympic athletes were murdered. So senseless, so brutal. I remember the coach reminded the US team that the reason why Olympic events were so powerful -- because incredible athletes are gathered from all over the world and spread a positive message about discipline and attaining goals without the use of force or violence.

In Hungary, there is a very unique part of their history centered around the Olympics. In 1956 Hungary had an incredible water polo team. In the middle of training for the Olympic events in Australia, the revolution against the Soviet Union broke out and the athletes weren't sure if they were going to get to compete. Finally, news came that they would indeed go to the Olympics. Once they were there, in the semi-final round, Hungary was pitted against the Soviet Union in what's been called the bloodiest water polo match. It was ironic that they played one another in the water. And what happened in that match was unfortunate as one of the Russian players pummeled a Hungarian and there was blood in the water. Quite descriptive of what was taking place in their nation on a political level.

Anyways, when it comes to Olympics and politics, it's a tough one. Yes, I think it's absolutely right to protest the events taking place in Tibet and in China because they are just plain wrong. Yet, I've got a lot of questions. First, should we be bothered that Beijing is hosting the Summer events? I mean, does it matter that the host city and nation actually endorses and uses violence and force against its law abiding citizens? My gut reaction - yes, we should be bothered and yes it matters. Second, should we mix politics with sports in this way or keep them separate? My gut reaction - nothing is truly separated in this world. All of it touches each other.

All I know is that I'm inspired by athletes in the Olympics and at the same time, I'm inspired by those who care enough about human rights to be a voice. It's going to be interesting to see how it all plays out.

There's a part of me that wishes I could go to China and see some of the Olympics this year-- specifically Triathlon. And there's another part of me that thinks about my friends and people who are suffering in China because they are Christ-followers. That sucks! And something should be done. It's been 17 years since the bloody democratic revolution in Tianamen Square from China's best and brightest students. I don't know. That makes me angry that people continue to suffer there and we, as a global community, haven't done more to be a voice for those who don't have one. What are some ways to be a voice practically from around the world? I'm curious.

Well, political things aside, in 2012 the Summer Olympics will be held in London, and God-willing, wherever I am, I'd like to get back to London then and see some of the eevents. Some of the rowing events will actually take place at Eton college where I'll be doing the Timex Tri in July. So this July may actually be the closest I come to the Olympics in more ways than one!

2 comments:

akshaye said...

Sure is a tough one. I cannot agree with many of the policies of the Chinese govt but neither can I see the point of boycotting the games.

If anything they can serve as a medium to get the message across. Also, on the protests - it shows the difference between the free world and China - you are free to protest here and elsewhere. But to protest violently almost destroys that message. Anyways.. I am rambling again :)

Jen in Budapest said...

It is a tough one. Unfortunately, things aren't black and white with this topic (as with most) so it gets tricky. I would like to see the medium of Olympic sports become a conduit for the message of freedom.