Thursday, April 10, 2008

If you were a dog.....


If you were a dog, which dog would you be?

Amber is the family dog here in the house where I'm "family-sitting". She's an old, yellow lab with the most amazing personality. I LOVE her ways. I think it's because she's older so she just is so relaxed. Her ears are so soft, she loves to hang around but is also content to do her thing too.

I am not one of THOSE people who knows dog types or cat types or plant types or flower types. I couldn't name most of them to save my life. I'm much more like "You know, the dog with spots" or "the dog that looks like a rat?" or the flower with a long green stem and it's white..." Ha! Well when Noel and Andre were visiting a few weeks ago, we were talking a lot about dogs. The question was posed,

"If you were a dog, what dog would you be?"

We agreed that I would be a labrador. I've always loved labs too so that's cool. I heard it said oftentimes when you look at a dog it will look like its owner. I've seen that a few times and it makes me laugh. I don't think it's always true, but it's definitely a theory worth pursuing. And while we are on the topic of dogs, I just have to give my two sense worth. I'm sorry if you have a tiny dog, but to me, I think the saying applies here...."Go big or go home." Why get a dog if it's more like another animal, say a rat? I'm sorry if this is offensive because I'm sure if you have a tiny dog you probably love it. But in my mind, a dog is a dog ....medium to big sized dog. And that's all I have to say about that!

So, Amber, the family dog is a lab. Here's what I read about the lab, which made me like this type of dog more and made me realize that if I were a dog, I might actually be a lab.

"a versatile working dog, able to rescue drifting nets, bring back shot waterfowl, and haul the catch to market in jog carts....In this one breed are combined a smattering of all the attributes needed in a family dog for an active household. He is kind to children, friendly to most people and other animals, energetic, easy-to-train, anxious to please, fun to teach tricks and games, and an easy-keeper. He'll play fetch for hours or lie quietly on the family room floor, content to serve as a pillow for a toddler. Well-bred Labs have a stable temperament suitable for work as a guide dog for the blind, an assistance dog for a handicapped person, or a sniffer dog for contraband at airports and border checkpoints. And he is a fine dog for those interested in competition events such as obedience, agility, rally, or hunting tests or trials. Although the Lab is the epitome of family dogs, he needs a fairly active household to satisfy his need for exercise and work. Daily walks, romps in a fenced yard, and games of fetch keep his mind and body in shape. Unless these needs are satisfied, the Lab may become a wanderer, a digger, or a chewer. Discipline should be gentle - no screaming at the pup or smacking with a newspaper, as these reactions to misbehavior are counterproductive. Labs are generally eager to learn, so firm but gentle guidance and discipline pay off in a strong bond with family members. Older Labs enjoy the couch and the fire; if fed too much or not given enough exercise they will fatten up rather quickly.


So, if you were a dog, which dog would you be?

-----------
Last night at Bible Study we continued through an interactive topical discussion of "Who is God?" and the topic came up as God, the creator. We talked about being specifically designed and created for a purpose. There is a place in the Bible that talks about how we've been specifically designed and created as new creatures in Jesus to do good works. And then we started talking about Steve Hawkings, the intelligent Professor of Mathematics at Cambridge, who holds a seat that Sir Isaac Newton once held. Hawkings actually has "Lou Gehrig's disease," a progressive deterioration of the central nervous system, but manages to communicate through incredible devices that hae been developed to help him.

Anyways, we talked about black holes and the theory of relativity and how Steve was still a student in the 60's, when he and another Mathematician developed mathematic proofs that if general relativity is true on the smallest scale, then the entire universe must have come from one singular event. We talked about how the Bible says that God spoke into the darkness and created -- something from nothing. Perhaps the big bang? And that His light continues to advance and hasn't stopped since He spoke, even as we barely understand "the speed of light" or "the speed of sound". Amazing. I was SO encouraged and inspired once again to realize that God holds my life in His hands, that He cares about the smallest details. We also talked about how we, as Christ followers can join God by echoing His truth and His love through our lives and in our world where we live. The power of God speaking one word to us can change our darkness too. Wow, encouraged and inspired. It was great!
------------

This afternoon and evening I am on family duty and Nori will take my place at English club and Bible Study. I'm going to make chicken enchiladas and oatmeal butterscotch cookies for the family. One thing is sure. I may have the tendencies of a labrador dog, treating myself to chocolate chip cookies and oatmeal butterscotch and anything else that's tasty. No juicer here and I'm not complaining! So I need to get in enough exercise too. :D The family has a plethora of bikes, so I'm hopping on one this morning to get a good bike ride in. 93 days before the tri-event. Woo hoo!

4 comments:

akshaye said...

Wow... thats something I've always wanted since I was kid. But I am going to wait until I have a house to get one(two??). Maybe a beagle and bull terrier.

I like what you wrote about Stephen Hawking. He was actually diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease as a grad student and not given very long. So there is that element of the unexplainable there too.

I think its sad to see people make a debate of science vs. religion (with things like evolution). Thats like pitting truth against faith - they both serve their own purpose and should complement each other.

No(dot dot)el said...

jen- love the many topics at hand here. first off you would be a lab for surwa! especially after reading the description of them that you have on here- "always willing to learn" that's you.
second-love that you are juggling the home life vs. the tri-ath training. you amaze me.
still wishing i could go back to london in july. you are going to kick butt. go jenny, go jenny!!
missed you today and thought of calling but i would have waked you out of slumber for surwa.

Jen in Budapest said...

Akshaye - I think it's sad too.

Noel - wake me from my slumber, I don't care!! :D I'm going to try and call this weekend. Love you...,

Jen in Budapest said...

London in July sure would be amazing. Maybe we could go and see IRELAND? It's Mo's dream, right? Let's make it happen while I'm here. :D