Wednesday, April 23, 2008

This morning's workout

I'm loving the Garmin watch and all it's cool features. Sometime soon I'm going to try the training assistant again. I tried it once and it kicked my butt so I turned it off half way through that workout last week! I think I set the goal too high so maybe that's why I was so discouraged. Oh well. I'll try again soon against this "virtual" training partner since Nona went back to the states and most of the girls I run with are not doing it to train for an event.
-------------

This morning I biked 6.73 miles at 10.9 miles an hour for 37:07 minutes. For some reason, my legs felt jello-y. Starting next week I'm going to be more determined about strength training. Besides sqauts and lunges, which I never consistently do, I'm kind of clueless as to what you can do at home for your legs. I don't have a gym membership anymore so I have to make do at home.
-------------
Last night I went to the immigration office with Nori and found out that my visa was denied -- that I need to pay more money and submit another letter and hopefully then I will be accepted for a one year residential visa. My friend Lara in Lithuania is going through the same thing, even though she's Lithuanian and her parents moved to the states before she was born. There's another guy I know who lives in the Philippines who also has had visa issues and he's a pro-basketball player. Crazy! The first year I lived here there was no problem getting a teaching visa with the school. This second year it's been one application after another to try and get a residential visa. I'm hopeful it will work out. If not, my dad's dream comes true and I'll be home for a summer visit.
-------------
My papa called last night just as I was thinking about him and my mom. They celebrated 38 years of marriage on April 18th. He's doing good but has to go in for some health things so I'm praying for him. It was really good to talk to him and, of course, he wanted to know when I'm coming home. I actually want to write a whole blog about how thankful I am for my dad but I don't have time for it now so when I get back, be prepared for a long and sappy post about my dad and other faithful men like him!!

Have a great week! I'll catch up with you on the weekend. :D

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope your visa goes through! What an unsettling feeling - just waiting.

Squats and lunges are great exercises to do for your legs. There are so many varieties of both that they could keep you busy for awhile. Wall sits are a great,too - no weights needed. Let me know if you need some ideas. :)

That's great that you and your dad have a good relationship. I think that's pretty rare.

akshaye said...

Hmm.. Leg exercises at home. I got to agree with annette - squats and lunges are great.

I hope the visa works out. I can imagine what a hassle all the paperwork is.

38 years of marriage is special. I pray all is good with his health.

Enjoy the lake!

No(dot dot)el said...

Oh my , Could it be that you would HAVE to come home early for a bit? What a joy that would be. I know not what you want but I will be praying for all good things.
Post about dad better not make me cry or you are in big trouble.

~Robyn~ said...

Hey girl! Just a word of caution...don't go too terribly crazy on the strength training this close to the race. Yeah, its two months away, but now you should be aiming more towards adding some mileage and working in speed. If you want to lift, I'd probably limit to once a week! Just some advice from someone who's been there :) KEEP IT UP!

Jen in Budapest said...

Squats and Lunges it is but I'll take your advice Robyn and only do it once weekly.

Noel - we shall see! Be prayin' for this ongoing visa thing. I'm not worried about it though.