Monday, July 7, 2008

1 Degree or 0 Degrees of Separation


Tonight Lara and I were briefly on skype to discuss the transportation situation in London. OMG can I just say the price for public transportation is ridiculous!? I think I'll be fishing in the Thames for dinner. Forget eating anything at all in London, I'll be spending all my money on the "tube." Not to mention that the pound is basically double the dollar. It's a hefty price to pay for what my British friend Javed says to visit (or for him to live) in "the best city in the world." How can people afford living there? Unbelievable!

Anyways, I was telling Lara about how nervous I am for the race. I asked her if her roommate Austra gets nervous and what she does for her competitions and for the upcoming Olympics in China. Austra was there (Is that 1 or 0 degrees of separation from an Olympic athlete? :D love it) and they were laughing at me. Austra said she gets nervous too and there's not much you can do to get past it. She said the worst day is the day before the competition and that the trick is to hang out with other people because then you're distracted and talk about other things. I can do that. I'll be with Lara and maybe a few others, maybe walk around Windsor Castle or something. I'm sure all you pro's can relate. All I have to say is I will not give into these nerves. I'm going to have fun and not look back. Whatever happens, happens.

9 comments:

akshaye said...

Seriously.. I remember paying 5.5 pounds for a day pass on the tube there a few years ago. $11 would get you a week of subway access in most American cities!

Umm.. fishing in the Thames.. you probably wouldn't catch much that was edible!

shontell said...

Friend, I have logged on here nearly everyday just to see your countdown days get smaller! I am so excited for you. Your faithfullness and self control through your training are just what God intended when he gave us those fruits of the spirit. I am praying you run like Forrest or like angels are carrying you :) Both make me happy. You are going to do fantastically! Praying for you to shake your nerves, find something other than poisoned fish to eat, and receive God's peace.

Jen in Budapest said...

Akshaye & Shonti -
Not too serious about Thames fishing! Got your attention though huh? I may have to resort to something drastic though cuz the fundage just isn't there. So I'll be looking for deals. We shall see how it goes.

Shonti - thanks friend, you rock. "Run Forest Run". I'll remember that. It will all be over soon. I'll post a new countdown soon. :D Health fitness for life baby!! When is your big race?

Ben G said...

Can't wait to see what happens on your big day-or rather can't wait to read what happens

Matty C. said...

Good luck Jen. You'll do great.

Whenever I get nervous about something like this, I just believe in myself and have the confidence that I can do it. I'm not going to lie, it only works a little. But it might work for you.

DawnB said...

good luck, nothing but good vibes coming your way.

Anonymous said...

Lots of luck! You're going to do great! If you weren't nervous, then you'd need to worry. ;) Run strong!

No(dot dot)el said...

So how did it go? I was praying and praying for you, even asked some Jr highers at camp to keep you in their prayers.
Love you sis, can't wait to hear the update and how it all went down.

shontell said...

You are killing me here! UPDATE! I need to know how you did! I need I need I need! I have been praying for you. And, I love how Matt gave you advice he was pretty sure wouldn't work well. What a giver.