Friday, July 4, 2008

Fellow Triathloners -- Questions

Leaving on Wednesday morning for London has me reviewing clips and thinking about race day quite a bit. As I prepare for next Saturday, I have a few questions and was hoping some of you fellow blogging tri's could help me out.

1) I'll only be using one pair of shoes for the bike and the run. I don't have the fancy shoes and bike to go with it. So my question is this. Should I wear socks coming out of T1 or just run with shoes? I saw one clip about rolling up your socks and having them ready in transition. I like that idea better just because I don't think I'd do as well running sockless. Biking would probably be fine but I'm not sure about running. Thoughts?

2) My race time starts in the afternoon. How do you prepare yourself eating wise? I was thinking my race time would be in the morning. Usually I'm on my game in the morning after freshly squeezed OJ especially. Now, I'm just not sure how to prepare my body for the under 2 hr. Sprint Tri. I know I'm gonna be hungry come lunch time. Any suggestions?

3) Realizing I won't have my i-pod and won't be listening to tunes or podcasts as I do in training, I'm curious. What are some of the things that you focus on to pull yourself through? For example do you have something you focus on when you swim, something else when you bike and something different when you run? Favorite quotes, songs, what?

4) What should I be looking for, avoiding, etc, in the swim?

5) Does everyones legs feel like jello coming off the bike and going into the run? If yes, what do you do about it? It usually goes away after the first mile or so of the run.....but any other good tips?

4) I guess those are my main questions right now. I'm nervous and excited all in one. This is where I wish I would have been a healthier eater. I'm sure it would make a big difference. But shoulda, woulda, coulda isn't going to help me now!! So, here goes....

5 comments:

~Robyn~ said...

Hey Lady!! Ok here we go, I'm by no means a pro, but I've done about 8 tris in my life so far. Does that count for something?? :)

1. WEAR SOCKS. If you've trained with them, wear them now. Don't make any changes to race day. Plus, it'll take you like 10 sec to put the socks on, 10 sec you'll be slower versus, what, an hour of being uncomfortable and blisters?!? You get the idea.

2. Ok, i would eat a solid breakfast early. Stay away from lots of fiber (the whole 24 hours before). Eat something with plenty of carbs, a little protein and fat. Not sure when your race starts, but treat it as your "breakfast". Eat what you would normally eat for breakfast about 2 hours before the race starts, then take a gel/bar/your preference right before the race.

3. Race day is so completely different from training! You will be fine without an ipod. Just take the whole experience in. There will be people cheering, other racers to encourage, etc. Honestly you won't even miss the ipod. Just focus on how you feel and what I do, is set little goals for myself based on how I feel. i.e. "I'm not feeling great, so I'm going to slow down for about aminute, let my HR recover, then pick it up again". Get the idea?

4. The swim...well I assume its in a lake, and my best advice to you is to stay as close to the center as possible. Otherwise you're adding unnecessary distance (and time). That's my goal every time.

5. I think most people's legs feel odd coming off the bike. For me, I much prefer going from the bike to run, because my legs are already warmed up and ready to go! It may take about a mile for them to realize that we're now running instead of biking, but it'll pass, you just have to get through the first mile.

Hope this helps girl! I'm not a pro, but its just based on my experiences :) GOOD LUCK!!!

Cliff said...

Jen,

Heh, those are good questions..i will try to address them as best as I can.

1) I would say put the socks on right after the swim. This will save you some time.

2) Have you done a mock practice? If the race is at 2 pm, you can test what you eat and train at 2 pm. That will give you a good gauge as to how your body will react with the food you eat. (I never done a race in the afternoon before so I have no clue)

3) Swim, look for a good pair of feet to fall into. Bike, sing, the wheels on the bike go round and round..round and round....if you happy and you know it clap your hands. Run, hmm not much. Just holding on :)

4) Swim, beware of those ppl who kick too hard. Don't worry about bumping into others or others bumping into you. Bike, watch the corners, drink and eat when needed. Run, keep drinking.

5) Yes...u can for every bike ride, get off and run for 5 min or so. You will get use to running with jelly legs. In my last tri, I had to remind myself that the jelly feeling is norm. After a few minutes, I was running again.

....
You are as ready as you can be ;). I would suggest do a mock race day. In my first tri, I would practice swimming in the local pool, get out, get on my bike, ride then get off and run. Oh yeah..and have fun :o).

Cliff said...

One more note...

In the short tri races, i would race without socks. I don't wear socks in my bike shoes and only wear them for the longer runs. I am use to them and riding sockless doesn't give me blisters.

Not to say you should do the same. But if u can get away with it...go ahead.

akshaye said...

Jen,

Good luck! As a runner I am not really qualified to answer those! But I can definitely say no 5 is true.

Jen in Budapest said...

Robyn - definitely counts! Wow. You're my superhero. Your sock, eating and race goal advice is well heeded. Thanks. What do you mean by staying close to the center for the swim?

Cliff - thanks for all the swimming advice. Honestly, I'm most nervous about this part of the race so your comments are insightful.

Akshaye - thanks so much for the well wishes. :D Appreciate it.