Monday, July 28, 2008

1/2 marathon training plan in effect


Last week I started a 6 week training plan for a 1/2 in September.

Although I really don't like running, I decided I want to plan to have different events to focus on throughout the year. Maybe a few sprint tris, a few 1/2's and Noel and I talked about the duathlon, where you just focus on two events. So maybe. I really want this to be a lifetime habit and design for me and in order for that to happen, I have to have a goal to work towards. That's just the way I operate. So, I think a 1/2 is something doable and helps me get better at what has now become my real love - the Sprint Tri. I had so much fun in London I can hardly believe its over.

Yesterday I ran 5 miles, my long run. This plan is great and will effectively land me at 10 miles for the long run the week before the 1/2. I'm excited about it.

I want to make exercising a part of my life until I die. I like feeling healthy and I don't want to go backwards. But I'm the type of person that if I don't make a plan and if I don't have people around encouraging me, it's tough. There was a time after college -- a long time -- where I just sort of let myself slip and I was up and down, struggling alot. I think it will always be a constant battle because of my body type. I found out, while taking this online course I'm in, that I'm an Endomorph. And our distinguishing characteristics include the following:
Short neck
Round face
Wide waist girth
More fat in the body
People belonging to this body type have a tendency to put on body fat at a fast rate. So, basically I'm not the type of body that can get away with much. And that's just really unfortunate because I love good food and a nice glass of wine. I have to always be thinking about healthy exercising and even what I eat. That's probably harder for me because I love eating all the stuff that is fatty. But apparently, a balanced diet is important to keep my body type -- the Endomorph in shape.

Lisa and I went to the International School's weight room over the weekend. It was great to talk about weights with her and learn from her. She's going to come up with some sort of a 3 day a week weight training plan that I can do in my flat. Since I don't have a gym membership or access to weights, this has been the toughest for me. But I realize that to get rid of overall problem areas its time to genuinely and consistently introduce the weights. :D I'm excited about it. I work well with goals and plans. I'm glad to say this one's in effect.

No comments: