Tuesday, July 22, 2008

A lil' somethin'

Have you ever listened to a song over and over again when you first hear it because you love it so much? That would be me with a song I blogged about a few weeks ago by Simon Webbe called "Coming Around Again." LOVE it. I kept hitting replay while running to it today. It's a great running song!

The weather looked bleak outside this morning but I determined to get something in and the training plan only called for 2.5 miles. Yes, I REALLY started the training plan today. Yesterday I called everything off - took a sick day. I don't like the feeling of being held back because I'm sick. I would never make a good hypochondriac. On the other hand, when you feel crummy it makes you realize how valuable health is in life. I'm so thankful for my health. When all systems are down, I don't do well with that. Thankfully I think this thing passed rather quickly.

The training plan I'm using for the 1/2 marathon has three levels - for beginner, intermediate and advanced. I'm using the beginners level because I'm a beginner. :D I cut out the first week on the plan as I only have 7 weeks to go before race day. I think it will be just right for me. I can continue to cross train with spinning class and some swimming.

I think I mentioned that just before leaving for London, I gave Chris his bike back. What a sad day that was! Now, I walk around my flat feeling as though a part of me is gone. Chris's bike was good to me. Yes, Chris was glad to see his bike but I think I love it more than he does. I definitely used it much more than he did! He keeps his bike chained outside while I brought her in and gave her lots of love and a place in my livingroom. When guests came over, I moved her to my bedroom. Now that she's gone, I'm feeling a bit of separation anxiety. I can't just take her out for a spin whenever I want. And it's a real shame. I decided to wait until I get back to the States to get a bike of my own. I'm not going to get a bike here in BP right now especially as fundage is also at an all time low. In the meantime, spinning class and perhaps a date with Chris's bike once in awhile will have to do. But I am excited about spinning class! I love to feel the burn.

I'm surprised at how quickly and easily it is to get in and out of routine. While running today, I thought to myself..... I really love this but you give yourself an inch and there goes the proverbial mile. It feels good to be back at it -- even if it's just a lil' somethin' :D

Well, I'm off to meet Nori. Immigration office hours are interesting. They open tonight from 5 pm on and then they're closed tomorrow. So, we decided to go tonight. While we wait it will be good to catch up with my dear friend. Gotta love the visa process.

3 comments:

Cliff said...

Jen,

I got two friends training for their first half marathon and I recommend them to get use to drinking (water/gatorade) and gel on their longer runs.

I would suggest you play around with the hydration and nutrition as well. Don't have to worry too much about it. Just play around and you will get the hang of it.

Over the weekend, I dislocated my baby toe and my first thought was, 'oh man, I am behind on my training schedule.' :D haha....I have the same fondness for my bikes as well. Especially my road bike. We gone through many many tough sessions together.

Cliff said...

Jen,

Sorry..one more note. If you can run up to 10 or 11 miles, you can do the Half marathon :).

Enjoy the long runs =D

akshaye said...

Jen.. good luck with the visa process.

Thanks for the link to the plan. I like it. You can definitely do 13 after doing 10 as your longest run.