Saturday, July 26, 2008

This weekend

Sometimes I think that one of the best ways God shows His kindness is through like-minded friends.

I just met Lisa at the beginning of the summer because she teaches at the International School in Budapest. My pastor's wife suggested I hang out with her because she's done triathlons and loves running. It's been great to get to know Lisa and find that she truly is such a like-minded and like-spirited friend.

Friday night Lisa and I had a chance to go to Spinning class near her house. I've been excited to try it for quite some time now as my previous experience with spin class is that it's an all out butt-whoopin. The guy who led the class was pro and did a great job. I was sweating like crazy! He had the perfect music to go with the perfect sets -- almost. His 2 splits were KILLING me. Cycle two rounds standing/cycle two rounds sitting -- on and on for who knows how long. Brutal! One funny thing -- he lit tealight candles and placed them around the room. Then he turned off all the lights. I've never been in a spin class in the dark. That was kind of ---odd. Of course the entire class was in Hungarian so we had to just keep our eyes on the instructor and do what he did. Lisa and I both agreed it was a great workout!

That night we went back to her place and watched a movie called "My Date With Drew". If you haven't seen it, it's hilarious. It's based on a true story of a guy in LA who has had a crush on Drew Barrymore since he was 6 years old and it's basically a documentary about how an ordinary average guy gets a date with drew in 30 days (more like 85 or something, but yeah). It's a pretty great story and the guy is endearing.

Saturday morning we got up leisurely and had coffee while reading our Bibles together. Then we started talking about our lives and all the things we've been learning recently. It was great. We had talked about going for a run or working out at the school gym and we opted to workout in the weight room at the International School. Lisa has keys and has access all year long! She was teaching me some things and is going to send me a weight training plan. She used to be a personal trainer in the states and I wanted to know more about that. It was interesting to hear her perspective that it can get frustrating and overwhelming when people either depend on you or want you to kick their butts but they aren't willing to do the little things that really matter. I've been taking an online personal trainers course for my own benefit and my plan is to finish and take the test by the end of the year. I am debating actually going further with it because I really do love all this stuff and it keeps me accountable. It was good to talk to her about all of this.

We came back from the weight room and had the healthiest lunch that I've had in a long time! I was so impressed but she told me it wasn't common for her. Salmon, delicious salad and toast. It was great. We had a great time. All I have to say is I'm thankful for like-minded people in my life that serve as anchors. She encouraged me and I think I encouraged her too. She wants me to come and maybe talk in one of her classes this Fall and go with her to a Science exhibition on the body in September as a class chaperone. I hope that works out. It would be great.

No comments: